I have ADHD. I was just turned down for PIP. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum

I have ADHD. I was just turned down for PIP. Any advice?

tracy1966 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I was diagnosed with combined adhd in July after being misdiagnosed until 55 with depression. I have had to finish in a job that I partly loved but was struggling with due to my adhd. I live on my own and was advised to apply for PIP, which I only wanted until I can go back to work again. I've just been turned down for any PIP at all. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks 


  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 8,219

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @tracy1966 :) It's great to have you with us!

    I'm sorry to hear that your PIP claim wasn't successful at this stage. Would you like to challenge the decision? 

    If so, your next step would be to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR). Have you heard of that before? 

    Perhaps you could take a look through this page on PIP MRs on the Turn2Us website, and let us know whether you have any further questions? 

    If you decide to go for an MR, try and think of ways to strengthen the evidence you're providing against each relevant descriptor. 

    Do you mind me asking whether you claim any other benefits at all? 

    I was also sorry to read that you were misdiagnosed for so long, though I'm sure you're aware this is quite common, especially in females with ADHD. Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your ADHD now? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 12,265 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tracy1966 - & welcome to the community. PIP is about any difficulties you have at least 3 months prior to applying, & which you expect to last for at least 9 months. It might be an idea to seek some advice before continuing to ensure this would be the right benefit for you, & that you could get sufficient points to hopefully get an award. Please see: https://advicelocal.uk/    choosing 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down menu.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.