Accessible councils — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Accessible councils

rosieposey
rosieposey Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi,

I am looking to move within England (or even the UK) as my current area has proven to be not so inclusive nor have many community initiatives for disabled people.

I am asking whether any of you have good experiences within your area in terms of accessibility and opportunities for disabled people community/employment wise.

Open to any and all recommendations.

Thanks.

Comments

• Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,742

Scope community team

Hello @rosieposey

Thanks for making this post, I think it's always useful to hear about how accessible and inclusive, or not, different areas of the country are. Although it's always worth noting that everybody's experience will be different, and we each will have varying needs that our local area may or may not meet.

I will tag your post as unanswered, but I look forward to seeing what others will contribute. I'm sorry to hear that your current area is not ideal.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Avoid North Tyneside Council at all costs!  Their attitude to disability is shocking.  I can't go into details on a public forum, but they really are an eye opener.

I'm trying to move away from them.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,295 Disability Gamechanger
    Most local authorities are in the same boat. Years of cuts via fake austerity followed by being allowed to spend what they needed to at the start of the pandemic on the fake promise it would all be covered by central government. So, more cuts coming. In terms of accessibility… well it’s a meaningless question. Everyone has different access needs. Some LAs will be okay with those and some will not. Some will be good with one aspect and less good on others. I have no reason to dispute the experience of @TheAlien but the reality is that the statement that a Council are to be avoided or recommended are meaningless. We don’t know the access needs of the OP or others making recommendations and the very places people say to avoid could be brilliant on other things. 

If you want opportunities then the reality is you’re looking at cities but when you look at cities don’t look at the local authority. Look at things like accessible public transport and how that works in practice.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    I found this on the news this morning.  https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2022-01-07/plans-to-improve-accessibility-in-sunderland-city-centre

Sunderland seem to be quite proactive on accessibility.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,295 Disability Gamechanger
    Media reports are incomplete and should not be relied on for such an important decision. Every council will be doing “something” on accessibility. It doesn’t mean they’re good at it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.