Sensitivity to loud noise and autism - opportunity to partake in dissertation research!
I'm Suzie, a 22 year old university undergrad student. I'm a queer woman based in Newcastle, UK. I'm currently seeking an ADHD diagnosis, but I suspect I'm autistic too. It's been a long discovery process for me and I'm still working my way through it.
As long as I can remember, I've had issues with noise. I have phonophobia, and sudden, loud noises send my brain into shutdown. I'm terrified of balloons, bonfire night is a nightmare, etc. Among my sensory issues, auditory hypersensitivity takes the cake. So I took this issue close to my heart and turned it into my final research project for my psychology degree.
This study is researching into factors contributing to auditory hypersensitivity in adults. Two things I consider important to fix: 1) so much autism research does not focus on adults; 2) auditory sensory issues are underrepresented in the scientific community. I know first-hand how debilitating they can be - it's important to investigate contributors to begin understanding, and thus helping.
Autistic traits have been shown to correlate with auditory hypersensitivity. This is one of the hypotheses I'm investigating in my dissertation project. I'm looking for participants - anyone is welcome (and encouraged) to take part because all data is wonderful, but to fit the hypothesis, if you are sensitive to noise or autistic, this is the survey for you. It would mean the world if you could fill it out - should take less than 15 minutes. Whether you have similar experiences or not, any and all data is so greatly appreciated, my degree and this project are special to me.
This survey, and link, are entirely anonymous. You will not be identifiable through your answers. The link is here:https://nclpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_czLL7XZZss47X0y
If you have any questions, please let me know, either here or by the email given in the survey, I'd love to answer. (I'm new to this site, forgive me if I'm unsure what I'm doing.)
Have a wonderful day
- 50.3K All Categories
- 9.9K Start here and say hello!
- 4.3K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 137 Community updates
- 11.6K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 684 Work and employment
- 538 Education
- 1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 952 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 255 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 252 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.8K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.3K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.6K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.1K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.7K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 611 Chronic pain and pain management
- 667 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 724 Autism and neurodiversity
- 870 Mental health and wellbeing
- 290 Sensory impairments
Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.
We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.
Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community Guidelines.