Where’s nice in North Wales to book one week’s holidays? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Where’s nice in North Wales to book one week’s holidays?

CoffeeFirst
CoffeeFirst Member Posts: 78 Courageous
I’ve been to Llandudno a few years ago and really enjoyed that but looking for another nice place to visit now. Closer to the beach…the better.

Comments

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,234 Disability Gamechanger
    Well that’s my part of the world. I confess to being a Gog, Several recommendations. 

1 - Ynys Mon. 
    2 - Betws-Y-Coed.
    3 - Caernarfon.

1 - the beaches on the east coast are best. Quiet and beautiful.
    2 - no beaches but beautiful and peaceful.
    3 - the absolute best of all worlds. However, the little known fact about Caernarfon is that it has about half a dozen of the best restaurants in the UK located within a few hundred yards of each other. Quite a revelation. Also one of the better Premier Inns. A castle, a beach, easy access to Ynys Mon etc. 
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Member Posts: 4,959 Disability Gamechanger
    I love caernarfon  lovely place to go 
  • Libby_Scope
    Libby_Scope Posts: 662

Scope community team

Some great recommendations from both @mikehughescq and @lisathomas50 :) 

This guide on North Wales best beaches might help you make your decision too: 

https://www.visitwales.com/things-do/nature-and-landscapes/beaches/north-wales-beaches

Please let us know where you end up going and if you have any recommendations for us all too :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • mikehughescq
    I love caernarfon  lovely place to go 
    One of the most under-rated places in the UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,055 Disability Gamechanger
    In N.Wales I like Rhos-on-sea, or on Angelsey Treaudor Bay
    Be kind to newer members
  • mikehughescq
    Treaddur Bay is gorgeous but nowadays far too busy. It is basically the place all the English head to and the Welsh try to avoid as a consequence. Benllech is much quieter and a lovely mix of sand and rock. 

Rhos On Sea is of course the birthplace of Mickey Thomas. I’ve a friend and ex work colleague (well he used to volunteer and I used to manage him) who lives at the top of the town in what was a ludicrously cheap house. It has the most ridiculously perfect view.
  • lisathomas50
    Even though there are lovely beaches in North Wales  I like the beaches in South Wales better we have so my beautiful beaches 
  • mikehughescq
    Even though there are lovely beaches in North Wales  I like the beaches in South Wales better we have so my beautiful beaches 
    You don’t have to choose :)

I could walk the Mumbles and other locations for hours (and have). 
  • lisathomas50
    Mike I love the gower coast line and worms head is one of my favourites bury port is a beautiful beach I love porthcawl to be fair I love Wales I have a wonderful sea view from my house it helps so much for my health and wellbeing and as already said  in another thread I am where I want to be in life I reached my goal and I am happy 
  • mikehughescq
    Having worked by the sea for 4 years I can totally understand the impact. Nowadays I do a 4 mile walk before work to aid all aspects of my health. Back in the day it was a 10 minute lunch time walk to the beach and a barefoot run for 30 minutes. Not being near the sea is the only thing I miss in my current role. 
  • lisathomas50
    Where I live I am higher than than the sea Mike so I walk along the front of the houses as there are no houses in front of me I can't say the name on here you would probably know it and the views across the sea are breathtaking I walk all the way down and the walk across the back of our houses and then back down its a big circle takes an hour to walk all the way round always with a fantastic view across the sea 

It's a shame your not where you used to be but saying that I do know people who would rather not be by the sea and aren't kean on it 

I think wales has a natural beauty 
  • Libby_Scope

Scope community team

edited January 11
    I did my undergraduate and postgraduate degree at Swansea University and one of my favourite beaches is Three Cliffs Bay, in the Gower :) such a beautiful spot!
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • lisathomas50
    Three cliffs is a beautiful place I love the gower @Libby_Scope
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,716

Scope community team

When I was young we used to go on holiday to south Wales to a place called Fresh Water East in Pembrookshire, and I always found it to be such a beautiful place, with much better beaches than those of North Yorkshire.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Libby_Scope

Scope community team

It's so lovely @lisathomas50 :) 

There's also my favourite ice cream shop in Mumbles called Verdi's, have you been? They do the BEST ice cream flavours and I would always visit on the weekends.
    Scope

• lisathomas50
    Yes I have been to verdies in mumbles @Libby_Scope but the best Welsh ice cream is Joe's ice cream cant beat it expensive if you go into the Joe's icecream parlour and eat it in I paid 20.00 for two tall glasses filled with an assortment of Joe's ice cream with sauce and all sorts of other nice things lol 
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 764

Scope community team

edited January 11
    I can agree with @Libby_Scope's comment on Verdi's, I studied at Swansea too, and I always loved visiting there when in the Mumbles :) Everyone always said Joe's was better, but I preferred Verdi's, because there's such a lovely view inside when it's raining (which is more often than not)!

In terms of the Gower my favourite place was always Rhossili Bay, it was so dramatic and changeable. 
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • lisathomas50
    Ha ha yes @Alex_Scope verdi's is nice but the Welsh will stick by Joe's  ice cream lol I only had Joe's ice cream on special occasions but alot of places do nice ice cream now with all the different flavours there is a nice ice cream place in Tenby on the other end of the beach north end beach I think its called and the different types of cones lol can't wait for the summer 
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 764

Scope community team

edited January 11
    @lisathomas50 I have to say all this talk makes having an ice cream quite tempting  :D

@CoffeeFirst I hope you can find somewhere nice by the beach in North Wales to enjoy one or two! You'll have to let us know where you decide.
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mikehughescq
    Mods, close this thread. You can’t go more off topic than South Wales when the original question was about the North :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.