Do you find the cost of living has gone up for you due to illness and is there any savings to be mad — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you find the cost of living has gone up for you due to illness and is there any savings to be mad

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
I have noticed since becoming ill that my cost of living has gone through the roof. I am really concerned when my fixed agreement for gas comes to an end next month, as that will send my bills right up.

I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed there cost of living has gone up since being ill and if they have managed to find ways t reduce that cost

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'll let people with personal experience of this answer your post @happyfella, but I just wanted to point you towards our Disability Energy Support service as you've mentioned being worried about your gas bill :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    I'll let people with personal experience of this answer your post @happyfella, but I just wanted to point you towards our Disability Energy Support service as you've mentioned being worried about your gas bill :)

thank you. i have just sent them an email
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I read somewhere else that local councils have £100 energy grants for people on some means tested benefits, might be worth checking your local councils website.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it fair to say that the cost of living has gone up for everyone, inflation at a 30 year high and rising.
    There are of course cost involved in not going out to work but also savings in not doing so e.g travel cost and the like.
    But for those of us at home all day having to heat our homes is becoming a nightmare.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wearing thermal underwear can be useful and cost effective but if the air is too cold and or damp you still need the  heating on to avoid bronchial problems, I know this through personal experience.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.