Sheltered/ supported housing? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sheltered/ supported housing?

Options
nannymaroon
nannymaroon Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
Hello everyone
I've come to the point where I need a bit more support to continue living independently. I currently have  carers for 1 hour 4 x pm to help  with personal  care. My home is no longer suitable because my bedroom toilet and bathroom is upstairs. I can't use the stairs any longer. I was assessed by the occupational  therapist as qualifying for a  stair course  in 2019 but then covid hit and the local council declared bankruptcy. I received a  letter  stating that they  predict a 2-3yr wait  for the stairlift which is too long to live like this. I'd like to be able to access my bedroom and bathroom at some point.

Can anyone advise  me of the process of moving into a more suitable  home that is adapted where I can live independently?  I don't need 24 hr care or anything, just some minimal support and adaptions. I am in social housing and the advice from my housing association isn't very clear.
It's easier to be nice🙂

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @nannymaroon

Thank you for posting this, and sorry to hear that you are finding challenges with independence at the moment, and that your council isn't being overly clear with you. That is a very long time that you would have to wait for a stair lift, so I'm not surprised at all that you are keen to take action now.

You can find the below information on this Scope page about finding accessible housing, I hope that some of the resources can be useful for you:
    • Shelter offers free, confidential advice to people with all kinds of housing problems.
    • Habinteg is a housing provider offering and promoting accessible, adaptable and affordable homes.
    • The House Shop allows you to find, buy, rent or sell accessible homes that have been built, adapted or modified for wheelchair users.
    • Accessible housing in Wales is a list of housing resources if you live in Wales.

The NHS also has a page here about finding supported housing, I hope it might help to clarify how it works.

Is your housing provider aware of the recommendation you have been given by your OT? Perhaps it might be worth getting a letter that outlines your needs so that you can use it to support your case for more suitable housing.

I look forward to other members sharing any experience they may have in this area.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.