My brother has autism and Leigh disease. How can I stop him from ripping his clothes? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My brother has autism and Leigh disease. How can I stop him from ripping his clothes?

Options
Lhutchinson
Lhutchinson Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
My brother lives with me he is 40 non verbal ausitic and Leigh disease he is constantly ripping his clothes shirt and pants.  I have tried letting him know he can't do that. I have even sewed his pockets clothes getting him b neck shirts. I do not know where to turn or how to respond to is and he knows he is not suppose to do that because he will look at me before he rips them. As well as ripping them during night. What can I do?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Could you give him some old clothes or bed sheets or something though this may encourage the behaviour 

There are things called twiddle mitts which are effective for people it's a mitt they put their hands in and there are different items attached of different textures eg buttons , ribbons etc 

Also fidget cubes or fidget spinners 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lhutchinson

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing your query. I would second what janer1967 has said, it might be worth trying to occupy his hands on something like a fidget spinner, fidget cube or twiddle mitt, so that he can channel that energy into those rather than his clothes. 

We had a similar discussion on the forum from not long ago which might be helpful as well.

Do let us know if we can help any further, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • staycb1985
    staycb1985 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    My brother lives with me he is 40 non verbal ausitic and Leigh disease he is constantly ripping his clothes shirt and pants.  I have tried letting him know he can't do that. I have even sewed his pockets clothes getting him b neck shirts. I do not know where to turn or how to respond to is and he knows he is not suppose to do that because he will look at me before he rips them. As well as ripping them during night. What can I do?
    Hi,
    I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. My 9 year old son has ASD and also does this. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.