Hi, my name is kailajohnson_91! Last year I found out my son has ASD. Looking for support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kailajohnson_91! Last year I found out my son has ASD. Looking for support

Options
kailajohnson_91
kailajohnson_91 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
last year September I found out my son has ASD. This has become such an emotional thing to process for me and my other children. So I am here to gain my knowledge and be able to help him more, and help support my family through this.   
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @kailajohnson_91 good evening and a warm welcome to scope, i'm sure people who have knowledge of your situation will be along to offer support.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,104 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi @kailajohnson_91 - & welcome to this friendly community, which I hope you also find supportive. I think that in some ways a diagnosis can be helpful in explaining someone's problems, but it does indeed take time to process. When it's ourselves it can be difficult enough, but far harder when this is your child.
    I'm so pleased you've joined, as we have both members & parents of children that are on the autistic spectrum. I also feel that whatever our many & varied disorders are, we do learn from each other. :)
    May I ask how old your son is? It's just that Scope have some services such as 'Navigate' that are for parents of a recently diagnosed child under 18. Parents have said how helpful it has been. Please see this & other family support here: https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @kailajohnson_91 :) 

Thank you for joining the community and for sharing a little bit about yourself and your family. It's great that you're here with us and reaching out for support. 

With any diagnosis, comes a lot of uncertainty and change, so I can understand why things might seem quite overwhelming at the moment. Please be assured that there are lots of resources and support out there for you :)I think this guide from the National Autistic Society could be really helpful for you, as it outlines specific support avenues for carers/parents post-diagnosis.

I will also move your post into our Autism and Neurodiversity section, in the hope that other members will share their experiences with you too. 

If you have any further questions or queries, then please don't hesitate to get in touch :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi @kailajohnson_91

Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us. I am particularly glad to see you have already found the courage to reach out for support when needed. How are you today?

Yes, I can imagine how difficult a new diagnosis must be to process at first. I hope we can support you and your family through this tough time. I also have ASD so if you have any questions, in particular, please feel free to ask! 

We will always listen and try to help in any way we can. You don't have to go through this alone. I just don't want to overwhelm you further with lots of information and links without first knowing what you want to find out   :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.