Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Should I make a reasonable adjustment or flexible working request?

Options
Holly75
Holly75 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have RA & work 4 days a week. I’ve had a really bad flare recently and haven’t been able to drive so have stayed working from home, as the advice has been anyway. Last year my RA was the best its ever been & I reduced my meds drastically. I’m wondering if this may be a result partly of working from home during covid. Life was easier, no rush in the mornings when feeling stiff/pain, no commute, more comfortable & more walks in the day, generally less stressful. 
 We’re now expected back in the office 3 days a week although my manager has been very good and said perhaps I should make a flex working request as I have been struggling to even get out of bed! But, because I have a home office set up I’ve still been able to work. I said to her if I hadn’t been able to work from home I would have had to be off sick as I couldn’t drive.

What I’m wondering is, should I follow the co’s flexible working policy & submit a request that way to work 2 days at home & 2 in office or should I just request it as a reasonable adjustment for my chronic condition?  I don’t want it to look like I just don’t want to go back to the office as some people are very reluctant and it’s not gone down well. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Holly75
    Holly75 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I want to make the request but I’m not sure which process to follow. The flexible working policy states that the business may not agree to it whereas reading about reasonable adjustment requests for a disability sounds like they would find it difficult to refuse. It’s just my manager said to make a flex working request but is that the same as a request for reasonable adjustments? From what I understand anyone can make a FWR but only those with disabilities under DDA can request reasonable adjustments. I don’t want tk get on the wrong side of my manager by coming across as heavy handed about this but I also do feel this would help me manage & pace myself better. She has been very understanding but I know really she prefers us to all be in the office. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I would make a reasonable adjustments request as this is more appropriate 

Flexible working Is  more about hours and shifts and times of work rather than working conditions 

Reasonable adjustments are for making your work or environment suitable for you to continue working with a health condition 

It is no longer DDA it is the equality act that covers reasonable adjustments 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.