DLA to AA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Rosie29 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone. My mum is currently in receipt of DLA and gets the middle rate care component. I actually think she would now qualify for the highest rate care component. Will she have to claim AA or contact DLA to inform them her condition has worsened and she requires more support. If she does have to claim AA, what happens if, worse case scenario, she didn’t qualify at all? Would she stay on DLA or would the claim close too?


  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    You haven’t specified how old your Mum is. Until you do we can’t answer the question. For example, if she’s under pensionable age then the actual answer is that any challenge would trigger an invite to claim PIP.

    However, even before that there is an even simpler question. Does your Mum get DLA care based on day time needs? Have those day time needs got worse or has she now developed might time needs which occur at least 4 in 7 nights i.e. after she’s gone to bed and the household has shut down?

    If it’s just that her day time needs have got worse then, no, she will not qualify for DLA care at the higher rate. That only occurs when you have day and night needs.
  • Rosie29
    Rosie29 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Apologies, I meant to say she is 74 and yes both her day time and night needs have got worse since her DLA was awarded at the current rate.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    That suggests she already had night time needs but insufficient to qualify for the higher rate. If you think that’s now changed then, before you do anything with DWP, now is the moment to get advice and have an adviser assess whether she has now got enough attention or supervision needs to change band.

    Start with https://advicelocal.uk.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.