Portable scooter to take on an airplane to a music festival — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Portable scooter to take on an airplane to a music festival

Options
jocelynm
jocelynm Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my husband is anticipating a second back surgery.  He describes excruciating pain after walking for five minutes.
He is an avid concertgoer and has plans to go to 2 music festivals with our teen daughter coming up in April and June.
He is slow to warm up to the different ways to overcome his difficulties.
I would like to see about getting him a mobility scooter that would travel on an airplane.
Does anybody have any solutions to suggest for my husband?  
I’m sure that there are different portable scooters available but have no idea where to begin.
Thank you, everybody! Jocelyn

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I would start by visiting a mobility shop and asking for their advice and trying out some different ones 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jocelynm and thanks for your query :)

From personal experience, taking my own manual wheelchair on a flight meant there was usually some kind of damage involved from putting it in the hold, sadly. I'm not sure whether many airlines would allow for mobility aids like chairs to be stored somewhere in the main plane, if the chair is foldable, but it is certainly something I think they should allow for- given how vital it is to the wheelchair user.

As janer1967 has advised, a good starting point would be to visit a mobility shop with your husband, where you can get an idea of what's available. I know some airlines have restrictions on the weight and dimensions, in terms of chairs that can fit in the hold. It may well be that you would have to pay extra, like extra luggage expenses, to be able to take your chair with you. It's definitely worth checking with each airline as some have different rules. 

If your husband is able to transfer or travel short distances on foot, then wheelchair hire at each airport might also be an option for you, though the chairs aren't designed with the individual in mind, as they cater for so many different people.

If I can help any further or you have any questions, please do ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.