Physiotherapy. What does 'multi-joint pain secondary to systematic lupus and fibromyalgia' mean? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Physiotherapy. What does 'multi-joint pain secondary to systematic lupus and fibromyalgia' mean?

Options
Georgia63
Georgia63 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hi just wondering if I can get some help. I had my first appointment with a physiotherapist for pain management I have systemic lupus and fibromyalgia. I just received letter of the appointment I had the one were they send copy to you and the doctor. It says 
Multi-joint pain secondary to systemic lupus and fibromyalgia. I got no idea what that means secondary. Has the physiotherapist found other pain in my joints while testing me. She did say I might have arthritis in left knee. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Georgia63 - As a long-retired physio, I hope I may explain. All that 'secondary' means in this context is that you have secondary pain due to the 'primary' conditions you have, namely SLE & fibro. I hope that makes sense. Sometimes people have pain due to no apparent cause, which would be described as 'primary', however you do have underlying causes, so it's described as 'secondary.'

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.