Why do they do this DLA and what form do they send? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why do they do this DLA and what form do they send?

Options
lubylou
lubylou Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Recently sent my child’s DLA renewal back and called for an update. They said they have written to their school and GP for more information (they’ve never ever done this before) and won’t make a decision until they have these. 

Does anyone know why? Also what do they send to the school? Is there a copy of the letter they send school anywhere please?

I included a copy of the school’s care plan for my child and OT report so not sure what else they’re hoping to get?   

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    They do sometimes contact them but it's rare for this to happen. The information they ask for will depend on each individual child and we can't tell you that. The school maybe able to give you some more information if you ask them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lubylou
    lubylou Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    So it isn’t a standard templated letter it is tailored with different questions for each child? 

What if school don’t reply or take months (as my kid’s school is known to do)? 
    Should I talk with school about it and am I entitled to see what they write?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A quick google search suggests they are sent a form with tick box questions on it.
    If the school don't reply there's not much you can do.
    All you can do is ask them if you can see it and they will either agree or they won't agree.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • suni
    suni Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Please may I ask what the outcome of this was as the same thing has just happened to me.

This is my child's 3rd renewal form and on  previous applications 2 weeks later just received award letter.
    They have never requested further information before but this time has written to school and gp.
    Even though my gp has always filled in the section part of who knows my child.
    Any advice on the reason they would write to school and gp this time?
  • MaaniMike
    MaaniMike Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    Options
    This is entirely normal and is becoming more common as they seek to validate more of the information submitted on the DLA forms. As most children spend most of their days in school, schools are best placed to provide further evidence at least regarding how the child is during the day if in attendance.

I have a 12 year old nephew on DLA and the DWP have always contacted the GP and the school as part of his renewal.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.