I've been told I have to remove my wheelchairs from the communal garage in my HA. What can I do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been told I have to remove my wheelchairs from the communal garage in my HA. What can I do?

Options
Bimbo63
Bimbo63 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I'm currently experiencing problems with my housing association. I live in a small sheltered studio flat. I use a walker and 2 types of wheelchair which I have stored in a communal garage for a few years. I'm now advised by a new scheme manager they have to be removed. The garage is for mobility scooters only. There are 2 scooters and a lot of junk that residents have put in. I was told the garage is not a dumping ground for everyones rubbish but my issue is that my wheelchairs are not rubbish but needed for my mobility problems. I have no room in my flat for them. Does the association have to provide storage for disability aids?  once the rubbish has been removed there will be more than enough room for the scooters and the wheelchairs. I don't understand why my mobility items can't be stored but the mobility scooters can.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Bimbo63 I'm sorry no one has managed to answer your post yet, and to hear you've been asked to remove your chairs from the communal garage. That must be quite worrying.

I don't have much experience in this area, I wonder, have you spoken to your local council about what you've been advised to do? Perhaps they can help you explain your situation to the new scheme manager. It might well be possible to find a different storage solution, as there's clearly already an issue with keeping everyone's rubbish out of the garage. 

My other suggestion would be to get in touch with Citizens Advice or AdviceLocal, hopefully they may be able to advise you as to your rights in terms of storing your walker and wheelchairs.

I hope my response has been helpful, and that our members can reply with their thoughts soon. Let us know if you need anymore help.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Options
    If this was me I would be asking the new scheme manager who made this decision and when and why was that criteria applied to residents. I would ask for the reply to be put in writing. If you feel you are just being fobbed off by the scheme  I would put my questions to them also in writing. If you get no further after this request I would send a copy of the requests to the director of the housing scheme informing them that you have not had a reply or a satisfactory reply and ask them for their response.
  • erin98
    erin98 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Equality and Human Rights Commission can be helpful sometimes, especially in cases where providers are failing to make reasonable adjustments, or are treating you less favourably because of the type of aid you require. EHRC is also a good place to go for letter templates.
  • Bimbo63
    Bimbo63 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks to all for your kind responses. I'm really grateful for the advice x
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad to hear @Bimbo63 do keep us updated with how things progress if you can, and if we can help further just let us know :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.