Lower back pain. NHS won't xray or scan. I'm thinking of paying myself. Which would be better? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lower back pain. NHS won't xray or scan. I'm thinking of paying myself. Which would be better?

Options
degsey88
degsey88 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi guys I have lower back pain long time 'it's specially worse when I'm standing, or after running or exercise its worse for  few days  my gp nhs won't xray ir scan ,was thinking of paying for xray myself,but what would be better xray or scan TIA

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @degsey88 :) I'm sorry that you haven't yet been able to get to the bottom of your lower back pain.

Did your GP suggest what might be causing the pain, or how you could reduce it? 

It'd be difficult for us to say what kind of scan you might need unfortunately, as we're not medical professionals. If you're not happy with what your GP has said, have you sought a second opinion from a different GP, or paid for a private consultation?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Personally I would invest in seeing a chiropractor first . They were amazing when I had back 0r9blems 
  • degsey88
    degsey88 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi  guys I only had phone consultation with practice nurse and they won't xray unless it's from impact injury ie car crash or fall ect 
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @degsey88, I would not go private until you stretched all possibilities with NHS.

Sometimes is good to ask another Gp Dr for consultation  like suggested here above. Otherwise, book yourself for face to face appointment  rather than online chat. The alternative is  to confront the Dr, Nurse and ask what is the reason hidden behind his/her rejection to provide referral. It always work in my case when I confront Drs. I say that this is they duty to provide referrals and I always say why I think they should do. 

Ongoing problems should never be ignored.

If you have pain then call them every day to show that is not one of episode but chronic problem.
    Who know maybe something is compressing nerve.

Otherwise go to A&E walk in clinic  within hospital, you may wait few hours  (4-5) but they will do the X-ray finally there . Keep trying, you are entitle to it. 

On top of everything it is Drs duties to find out what is causing the pain and how to manage the problem. Good-luck.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you tried booking an in-person appointment @degsey88? I know they're difficult to get at the moment, unfortunately. 

What else did the practice nurse say, if you don't mind me asking?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @degsey88 back pain is rubbish - get an appointment with doc even if it's a telephone one - you say you've suffered a long time have you been intouch with the doctor before about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    iza said:

The alternative is  to confront the Dr, Nurse and ask what is the reason hidden behind his/her rejection to provide referral. 
    I do not recommend confronting a healthcare / medical professional. Instead, an open discussion would be the best option. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Must say I agree with Mark. I've always thought you need a Drs help, so I ask for their opinion first. A patient is as much a part of the team as any healthcare professional or Dr, & as such you need to work together.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.