Hi, my name is HartleyHare! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is HartleyHare!

Options
HartleyHare
HartleyHare Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have suffered with mental health for a decade and in that time there has been no improvement on awareness. Really **** off with the system tbh.

Comments

• HartleyHare
    HartleyHare Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I am a nurse. Have been for nearly 30 years. For the last ten years I have suffered with my mental health and have had various absences from work due to it. Twice I have tried to take my own life. [Removed by moderator] I have been a codeine addict for twenty years, an off and on alcohol dependent for the same and I have panic attacks before, during and after work. I have been told by Occupational Health and my Trade Union that none of this qualifies for early retirement (I am nearly 52 years old). I run out of my workplace during patient care due to panic attacks and anxiety and I have been told "It's  curable. Get on with it" wow! How supportive. Is there anyone else in this predicament?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hello @HartleyHare thanks for reaching our here on the community, it takes a lot of strength to share how we're feeling when we're going through a difficult time, and I want you to know we are here to support you.

Whoever told you this is curable probably has very little experience of struggling with mental health, and just how big an impact it has. I'm sorry they weren't more supportive, but I hope that this forum can be in some capacity. 

Can I ask what support you have for your mental health at the moment? Have you spoken to anyone you trust about how you've been feeling, your panic attacks or your addiction? 

If I may, I can recommend some great organisations you can reach out to for support when needed:

Remember, if you ever feel in immediate danger of doing yourself harm then call 999 or get to A&E as soon as possible. 

If you feel we can offer additional support for you, then please do let us know. You are not alone in this, so don't hesitate to reach out if you need to. 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.