do people feel cheated over high energy bills and cost of living — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

do people feel cheated over high energy bills and cost of living

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
When Boris convinced everyone to leave the EU he said that more money would go to the NHS, which never happend. He also said that the cost of living would not increase and all these experts who said energy bills would go up were lying.

So, roll on. We have left the EU and everything that Boris said would not happen has happend. So my question is, would you if there was a vote tomorrow vote to leave the EU, and do you feel cheated by the lies that Boris told us.

I know a lot of people who are now scared about the state of the country. We are now in a worse position than we were before we left the EU
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not in the business of defending BJ or Brexit (both of which i deplore) but the rise in energy costs has, as I understand it, little if anything to do with Brexit. Not helped by the foolish decision by government to reduce storage of gas in the UK but that would only provided very short term relief.

Nor do I think the rise in the cost of living is entirely attributable to Brexit, although it may be a factor.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    I think the rises are more to do with a combination of factors, there's no one cause.  
  • happyfella
    Options
    it will be interesting to see what Martin Lewis says tonight, but for me, i cant wait until we have the next general election and get rid of Boris Johnson and all the rubbish tory ministers. The only trouble is labour don't have a decent leader.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    it will be interesting to see what Martin Lewis says tonight, but for me, i cant wait until we have the next general election and get rid of Boris Johnson and all the rubbish tory ministers. The only trouble is labour don't have a decent leader.
    or have well thought out, practical and cost effective policies.
    I always remember Labour nearly bankrupting the country and flogging off our gold reserves on the cheap so as to give us some reductions in taxation etc. 

Boris has always been a wild card and a maverick but he is still fighting and going forward.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Username_removed said:  As for going forward… I presume you’re joking?

Perhaps in the sense of effluent moving along a drain
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wish borris would fall down a drain and disappear only problem is none of them are fit enough to run the country its not going to get any better 
  • Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Scope have an incredible thread on Twitter about this news and what it means for disabled people, which I'd encourage you to check out. You can also find targeted advice and support by following the links on this page, if you're worried. Take care of yourselves, everyone <3
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A BBC article on why the gold was sold:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48177767
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• TheAlien
    Options
    Not everyone's on twitter.
  • Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    @mikehughescq,
    On reflection, “incredible” was probably too strong of a descriptor here, but I do hope that you’ll find the other resources helpful. If not, do let me know and I’ll do my best to find more information for you another way, if you’d like. It’s a stressful time for my family, too. I hope that we can find a way to move forward collectively :)

@TheAlien,
    You should still be able to access the thread even without a Twitter account, though I appreciate that it maybe wasn’t the most helpful example. Thank-you for educating me on that, I’m a new volunteer and still learning, but rest assured that it’s been noted for my future posts!
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • woodbine
    Options
    I voted leave and would leave again, quite honestly as little as I trust Boris I trust him more than Lewis, who strangely has turned from a money saving guru to some sort of politician.

• calcotti
    Options
    woodbine said:..as little as I trust Boris I trust him more than Lewis, who strangely has turned from a money saving guru to some sort of politician.
    Really can't follow that comparison - they have completely different roles (and money advice obviously does have a politic aspect to it).
  • calcotti
    edited February 2022
    Options
    How the government wasted £200 million on a Covid vaccine that never arrived
    Not only lost money but also lost potential jobs in the UK. 
  • TheAlien
    Options
    As I said in a post on another thread, he's not going to go willingly, they are going to have to drag him out of no.10 kicking and screaming. 

I remember a former prime minister from the early 1970s who begged to be allowed to stay when he was kicked out.  I can see history repeating itself.
  • happyfella
    Options
    The trouble is, is all the lies. I watched as the tories said they were keeping petrol prices low. Hello, at some petrol stations it is £1.50 a litre. Last year it was £1.19. Then we have the water going up, the gas and electric going up. The conservative government have done nothing except line their own pockets and their friends pockets. There has been so many backhanders going on, it is shocking. Then we have the head of the Met who lets Boris get away with what he wants. And the silly thing is, the second in charge of the investigation into Boris is the brother of the health secretary. We are living in a corupt country at the moment. The rich are getting richer and the poor are struggling to survive.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    If boris gets kicked out kicking and screaming it will be because of the loss of all the money he earns and where he lives and because he is important in my opinion that is, if he had any decency he would resign with dignity and show that he knows he is wrong and show he cares that whilst they were parting people were dying couldn't go out couldn't see their familys and loseing jobs
  • woodbine
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:..as little as I trust Boris I trust him more than Lewis, who strangely has turned from a money saving guru to some sort of politician.
    Really can't follow that comparison - they have completely different roles (and money advice obviously does have a politic aspect to it).
    He has politised "money saving" over a number of years now, he built up his website over a number of years on the backs of those who signed up and joined it, then sold out for £86 million having made his name, but thats all history. The difference between the two is that Boris has to be accountable, on a day to day basis to parliament and every 4 or 5 years to us the electorate.

• woodbine
    Options
    TheAlien said:
    As I said in a post on another thread, he's not going to go willingly, they are going to have to drag him out of no.10 kicking and screaming. 

I remember a former prime minister from the early 1970s who begged to be allowed to stay when he was kicked out.  I can see history repeating itself.
    Between 1970 and 1979 there were only 3 prime ministers Heath, Wilson and Callaghan, Heath resigned when he lost the second election of 1974, Wilson resigned in 1976 and Callaghan lost the 1979 election having failed to call it in the Autumn of 1978 when he was  ahead in the polls.

• woodbine
    Options
    And today he’s echoing Trump by talking of us needing a Panzer division to get him out of number 10. January the 6th anyone? Media not even commenting on it as being anything especially bad.

He’s gone far beyond being even remotely defensible. He is effectively a dictator in decline and I would defy anyone to show a single fact to the contrary.
    It will only take letters from 54 tory MP's to start the ball rolling to replace Boris, not sure I would call him a dictator.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Doesn't realy matter what we say on here what ever happens will happen I would hope that the public would vote him out if by some miracle he doesn't get kicked out 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.