Autism Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism Assessment

Options
Trixter_82_
Trixter_82_ Community member Posts: 28 Listener
edited February 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi, so had a virtual ados assessment earlier on.  It was very strange.  They asked a lot of questions, but I completely struggled to answer them.  Then they shown a book, without words, and I had to desribe what was happening.  My mind just went blank, I could not for the life of me, understand what was going on or how to desribe it.  Then I had to make up a scenario using 5 random objects, and again, my mind went blank and I could not desribe a scenario using my imagination.  Has anyone had an assessment done on themselves? I'm starting to think now that I have no emotions or imagination and I'm just a robot.  
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Trixter_82_ I'm sure you're not a robot! It's a really common thing for our minds to go blank when put on the spot, as Teddybear says. It's especially true when we're already feeling a little anxious. Is there anything you're very concerned about around the results of the test?

Putting that aside if you can, try not to dwell on feeling worried about it, and focus instead on something you enjoy or find relaxing. That's the easiest way to distract yourself, and to help the time pass more quickly.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,067 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    I haven't personally but my daughter did in 2017. I remember when she came home she told me she had no idea what she was supposed to say and also said she had to imagine one of the props was a man.. her response was "it wasn't a man so how i can think it was, it was a wooden spoon."
    You are definitely not a robot, it's perfectly normal for someone not to be able imagine something that's not real. There's no right or wrong answers during this assessment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope the above replies have helped you feel a little better @Trixter_82_ :) I can imagine it was a difficult experience, but you're not alone in feeling this way after an assessment.

One of our other members, @Eyates02, posted recently about their own experiences of assessments for autism, so perhaps you two could link up?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Eyates02
    Eyates02 Community member Posts: 110 Courageous
    Options
    I hope the above replies have helped you feel a little better @Trixter_82_ :) I can imagine it was a difficult experience, but you're not alone in feeling this way after an assessment.

One of our other members, @Eyates02, posted recently about their own experiences of assessments for autism, so perhaps you two could link up?
    Thank you! 1 week down only 2 weeks to go hopefully until I hear something.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck @Eyates02 and @Trixter_82_!  I think the support you provide for one another will be invaluable and much appreciated. Does either of you have any specific questions that we may be able to answer or need help with anything specifically? Thinking of you both  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Eyates02
    Eyates02 Community member Posts: 110 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, so had a virtual ados assessment earlier on.  It was very strange.  They asked a lot of questions, but I completely struggled to answer them.  Then they shown a book, without words, and I had to desribe what was happening.  My mind just went blank, I could not for the life of me, understand what was going on or how to desribe it.  Then I had to make up a scenario using 5 random objects, and again, my mind went blank and I could not desribe a scenario using my imagination.  Has anyone had an assessment done on themselves? I'm starting to think now that I have no emotions or imagination and I'm just a robot.  
    Hello yeah I did the assesment last Friday, it was really strange and I didn't know if I was saying the right thing of not, super confusing stuff but I know it's things that get us to be honest, if you was yourself and you did as much as you could that's what counts, I hope you get the results you want soon! 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Eyates02

Thanks for your response. Yes, the uncertainty can be the worst. However, as you said, you just need to be yourself as it is yourself that counts. Thinking of you both. If we can do anything to help either of you through this difficult time, please just let us know!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.