Kitchen Refurb — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Kitchen Refurb

Options
Shastus
Shastus Community member Posts: 65 Courageous
We my wife and I are having kitchen refurbished by local council yay! First I have Crohn’s disease, Short Bowel and Ileostomy I need the toilet a lot 20 times + per day our lounge is through the kitchen we were advised to live in bedroom will be like a holiday the liaison said what?. We’ve had to literally move everything out of kitchen and dining area gave table and chairs away nowhere to store them it’s took us 2 weeks to move everything anyway I’m straying from my problem, apparently there’s going to be a rewire of the kitchen running cables through floorboards from small bedroom across the landing into yes you guessed it the toilet and bathroom so I’m worried sick now how am I to use toilet with floorboards up and a guy laying cables hardly the holiday that the liaison said. The job is to take 10-14 days if we’re lucky and none of the workers are off with illness. I’m dreading it we will be stuck in bedroom with 2 cats and litter tray. Eating etc. on bed. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello there @Shastus

Lovely to see you posting, I hope you are well.

It sounds exciting about the kitchen refurbishment, but yes I can see why it is causing you concern. Have you asked whether it will still be possible for you to access the bathroom while they carry out the work? Of course I recognise that you say they'll be running wires through there, but perhaps they'll be able to find a way to keep it accessible to you if needed. 

Alternatively, I know this wouldn't be ideal but do you have anywhere else that you could stay while the work is ongoing? Such as at a family members?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have to agree staying with someone might be the answer, have you pointed out the problems you will have to the council?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Shastus
    Options
    Sadly not got anywhere else to stay and would be to embarrassed to stay at someone’s house constantly using the toilet I go 3-4 times during the night to. The kitchen is right below the toilet and bathroom so wires have to run through flooring mainly the toilet as the main plug sockets and cooker socket is directly below toilet, I’m hoping that the upstairs wiring is done very quickly 1 maybe 2 days fingers crossed. I’ve told the council liaison officer about my problem she doesn’t seem to grasp the idea how many times a day I need the toilet. If it’s only a couple of boards that needs lifting I can maybe work round it and ask the electrician if he could kindly vacate the toilet for a couple minutes at a time. 
  • Shastus
    Options
    Forgot to say thank you for your comments much appreciated.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,745 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Shastus I'm sure if you told the work men they'll be able to work around you. I had my kitchen done about 10 years ago now. Roughly.  Be nice when finished tho.
  • Shastus
    Options
    Kitchen all ripped out today plumber due tomorrow to take sink out. Electrician due Thursday will have a chat with him see if it’s ok for him to step out of toilet when needed fingers crossed.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Shastus :)

Thank you for providing us with an update - how exciting that work is getting under way. How do you feel about it all? I think that's the best idea and I'm sure the electrician will accommodate your needs and be very understanding :)

I hope it goes well and just think, you'll have a wonderful new kitchen in no time at all!
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.