If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son turned down for PIP advice for appeal

Options
Anne206
Anne206 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi There,

Can anyone give me any help or advice on my situation. My son was turned down for PIP for the 1st time and I am going to appeal this. He was awarded 2 points on the daily living activities. The assessment was a phone call which lasted approximately 1 hour and half. He did lose concerntration after 45 mins and what the assessor didn’t know he was throwing sweets at me not in a violent way just messing about as he does when he gets restless he was also playing with his fidget dice cube thingy. The assessor asked what that noise was and we told her, but she never mentioned this in her report. He was diagnosed with autism and ADHD in 2021 after being referred in 2019. After the final diagnose in 2021 we thought we would have a break through, but things were worse. Now my son would rather think his thick and stupid and not been told what was wrong with him. He thought once he was diagnosed it would be better and he would get the help he needed. He dies self harm his moods gets low and he can lock himself  away for days. He needs help with medication, he doesn’t go out much as he can’t deal with too many people. His been like this since school age and he is now 39. Everything in the report was wrong and I wondered if the assessor was even listening I said he self harms because no one cares and he can’t cope. The worry I have if he storms out and not know what his doing in a depressed state. He does get anxious and depressed. Ever good thing he as achieved like passing his driving test in his early 20’s the assessor used that against him but he hasn’t drove in over 10 years because of the stress and he would only drive a short 15 minute drive town and back. He hasn’t had many jobs but always tried, never been employed over a year. People are not understanding of people with learning disabilities and can be very abusing towards him because his slow and they class him as lazy. He is not not good with strangers or big groups. I give up work a couple of years ago so I could be there for him and stop me worrying about what his doing. I am due to retire this year and I am finding it hard to cope with no support from anywhere just to help with forms, housing or any problems. 

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks 

Anne

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry to hear what you and your son are going through 

Have you tried welfare rights or cab to help with your sons pip claim or indeed filling in forms 

If they can't help they could maybe signpost you to some help 

I know un my area there is a community group that help with form completion 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Anne206

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your post and being so vulnerable and honest with us all.

I can see that you're going through an extremely challenging time at the moment and therefore, we at Scope, would like to offer some additional support/resources for you. We will do this via email, so please keep an eye out on your inbox. The email will come from community@scope.org.uk :) 

If you have any issues with receiving the email, then please just let us know on here. 

Take care now and we will speak to you soon.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Anne206
    Anne206 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and replies. All this is new to me and I had help setting it up so l might be a bit slow in replying. Just getting use to the site and how to use it. Thank you very much for all the feedback. Anne
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    That's okay @Anne206 :) we understand and if you need any help with anything, then please just let us know. 

Just to let you know and to put it on your radar, we have sent you an email. Of course, you don't have to respond at all, but I just wanted to let you know :)

Take care now and speak to you soon.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello again @Anne206 I just wanted to check in with you and see how things have been going lately?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.