How does a workplace pension effect housing benefit and council tax — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How does a workplace pension effect housing benefit and council tax

Options
meve1
meve1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi , I have a quick query that I cant seem to find an answer for. I live in rented accommodation and expect to till I die. Therefore I will need to claim housing/council tax benefit when I retire, I live on my own and am not on a great wage and the government workplace takes money from my monthly pay that I really do feel I need. My question is -How does a workplace pension effect any housing benefit ?council tax benefit I may claim when I retire. These benefits are both means tested so will they significantly reduce if I am getting a small amount per month from the government workplace pension . How can I find out by how much. I have tried benefits calulators etc but I can seem to find a definitive answer .Is it worth me struggling now to continue to pay into this. Thanks for any advice

Comments

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    As with any means tested benefits of which Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit are two ALL income from pensions will be used to calculate the level of the support available.
    Obviously the purpose of having a works pension is to provide you with some level of income and therefore reduce dependency on the benefit system.
    When eventually you are able to claim Pension Credit the amount will be assessed taking into account your private pensions to arrive at a figure that gives you a minimum income considered to be enough to live on.
    Be thankful that you will receive the State Pension and a private one. Many do not have that luxury.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @meve1 without knowing how much your private pension will be and you will get the full unified SRP it is impossible to advise on what other benefits you might or might not get. The other question would be is it a defined benefits works pension, or a defined contribution one? How long before you reach 66?
    Armed with all that information (plus the pension pot value) you could speak to welfare rights who would answer your question.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    It is true that small amounts of pension income can be of little value if they simply reduce means tested benefits. However unless you are very close to pension age you can’t be certain about what benefits will be available when you get there.

Remember that when you pay into a pension fund through work your employer is adding money too as is the government. If it is a defined contribution scheme, rather then a defined benefit scheme, then when you reach later life you will be able to withdraw money as a lump sum if you prefer and this may have no impact on benefit entitlement (depending on your circumstances and benefit rules at the time). 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    If  meve1  gets a full state pension she will not be eligible for Pension Credit. Why should someone be thankful for getting a State Pension when they have paid enough National Insurance to make them eligible. Also my private pension is paid for by contributions I made while working. So I do not understand your "be thankful " and actually find it quite insulting.
    My comment referred to the fact that the individual is to receive the benefit of a works pension. Many I know that worked for over 40 years have had to retire on just the State Pension!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,037 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    If  meve1  gets a full state pension she will not be eligible for Pension Credit. Why should someone be thankful for getting a State Pension when they have paid enough National Insurance to make them eligible. Also my private pension is paid for by contributions I made while working. So I do not understand your "be thankful " and actually find it quite insulting.
    My comment referred to the fact that the individual is to receive the benefit of a works pension. Many I know that worked for over 40 years have had to retire on just the State Pension!

If you don't contribute to a pension, you won't receive the benefits from it, seems perfectly logical to me.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.