Changes to vision — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changes to vision

Options
RoseyG
RoseyG Community member Posts: 29 Connected
edited February 2022 in Sensory impairments
I’m not looking for anyone to diagnose me so it’s not medical advice but I’m hoping anyone has some ideas I can put forward to my gp or optician to look into as routes to explore

For last couple of years I feel my eyesight has deteriorated rapidly but optician says I’m still testing fine and no changes and don’t need glasses for my ‘good eye’. [My ‘bad eye’ has very poor vision, untreated lazy eye as a child]
Some days my vision is so bad I cannot read a thing or make out detail on anything, it’s just blurred shapes.
I can’t read subtitles on TV any more, using my laptop is causing headaches and same with reading. I can feel myself straining to focus. 

I use sunglasses outside all year round as it hurts my eyes. 

The optician still says my vision is fine because I can read their board. I explained I can feel myself straining to make out the letters whereas it used to be easy. Plus if I’m there it’s a good day, if they caught me on a bad day I wouldn’t be able to read them at all, but they’re not taking me seriously.

My neurologist arranged an MRI which came back clear.

Where do I go from here? Any suggestions of avenues to look into? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I would suggest you get your gp to refer you to the opthalmology dept at the hospital 

I'm very much the same and won't go into my diagnosis as I'm not a medic 

You might benefit from some form of magnifiers for close work I have magnifying spectacles 

I am registered as severely vision impaired and have had involvement from my local social services sensory team 

I would get it checked sooner rather than later 
  • RoseyG
    RoseyG Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    I’ve requested a gp appointment but the first prebookable appointment they had was for 4 weeks time, so a bit of a wait.
    I hope you don’t mind me asking was yours a rapid deterioration of vision too? My changes drastically through the day as well. I can be fine one minute and unable to read anything the next. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again 

I lost the sight in one eye very suddenly thought it was eye infection but after getting emergency appt at hospital it was found to be glaucoma a certain type can't remember name that due to extremely high pressure damage optic nerve 

My other eye has deteriorated over last year and it does change throughout the day and on day to day basis 

An optician can detect things like glaucoma and cataract which I have both but the ophthalmologist does scans and looks behind the eye 

My eye issues are related to diabetes which I have had for over 30 years 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.