Left money by dad no will. Any advice welcomed, I'm on income related ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Left money by dad no will. Any advice welcomed, I'm on income related ESA

lyndaj12
lyndaj12 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi my dad left 21000 in savings im on esa benefit  I have siblings and dad had his grandkids  he told me to share it between us I decided I'd do as he wanted because I'm on esa income related will it b ok to share as no will left ill b left with 9000 of it thanks for any advice 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello there @Lindaj12

Thanks for posting, I hope you are well.

Sorry to hear of your loss, I hope you are coping okay. 

Regarding your question, this isn't something I have a lot of knowledge of, but I hope that others will be able to respond to your query with any insight they have. I did find this page on the CAB website that might go some way to providing an answer to your question though, it's about whether inheritance will impact your benefit.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Savings of more than £16,000 will mean that you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits. If any part of your ESA is contributions based then this won't be affected.
    If there was no will how do you know the money was left to you?
    If you give away your money then this is likely to be seen as deprivation of capital and you will still be treated as having the money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lyndaj12
    Poppy123456 I was my father's next of kin so the money came to me I have 9000 but nothing in writing that was dads wishes nearer the end of life
  • lyndaj12
    B poppy 123456 my dad eft this money I was next of kin he stated in earlier stages of his illness that this is what he'd like me to do with money I have 9000 not 21000 because its been shared
  • lyndaj12
    teddybear thanks for reply no he was to poorly to write anything im just wondering were I should get advice as I'm sure esa will want to no were its come from
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    lyndaj12 said:..my dad eft this money I was next of kin he stated in earlier stages of his illness that this is what he'd like me to do with money I have 9000 not 21000 because its been shared
    The problem is you had £21000 and have now given £12000 away. In the absence of a will or any written record of your dad's wishes DWP may see this as deprivation of capital in which case you will be treated as still having the£21,000 in which case you are no longer entitled to income based ESA. 

It is up to a DWP Decision maker to decide whether or not deprivation of capital has occurred (although you can appeal the decision if you disagree with it).

Your latest post appears to say you have already done this in which case what has prompted you to ask the question now? Your opening post appeared to indicate that you hadn't yet shared the money and were seeking advice before doing so.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lyndaj12
    hi no it ain't gone in to bank account yet but that's wsts being paid out obviously funeral cost headstone engravement4500 pound for that n rest shared  whichll leave me 9000 
  • poppy123456
    lyndaj12 said:
    B poppy 123456 my dad eft this money I was next of kin he stated in earlier stages of his illness that this is what he'd like me to do with money I have 9000 not 21000 because its been shared

If this is the case and you had £21,000 into your bank then you need to tell DWP because if you don't then they will likely find out at some point. Let a decision maker decide whether it's deprivation of capital or not.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lyndaj12
    Ive promised siblings n grandchildren now so can't not give it to them n it what dad smashed me to do complicated
  • poppy123456
    Once you have the money you need to report this to DWP and your local Authority if you're claiming Council tax reduction and housing benefit.
  • poppy123456
    You posted asking for advice, which you've been given. If you have savings of more than £16,000 your entitlement to means tested benefits end. It will be down to a decision maker to make that final decision but you need to report it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    - you posted this question on a forum. You presumably had no idea of the relevant capital limit? If push comes to shove, put a screen print of this thread in as evidence.
    - it cannot possibly be the case that you got rid of capital to keep benefit if you had no idea what the capital limit was in the first place. ..
    As I understand it, OP hasn’t yet received and distributed the money and does now know about the capital limits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.