PIP face-2-face assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP face-2-face assessment

Options
catell
catell Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all
Thank you for those who offered advice on my last post.

So I've just got back from my face2face assessment and I'm drained, anxious, worried and in a lot of pain. They had me in the assessment room for 2hours 15minutes.  I'm worried because I was so exhausted, bent over in pain, crying from pain and exhaustion after sitting there for so long, answering so many questions, detailing every corner of my life that by the end, when asked to do the movement part, I very politely refused. The assessor came across very kind, considerate etc and said she understood my reasons why but I'm worried in case this will affect her report. 

Anyone had a similar experience? Anyone been in assessment room so? Anyone refused to do the physical part and had a positive outcome? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Refusing to do anything physical that they asked you to do will not go against you. You shouldn't be forced to do anything that will cause you even more pain.
    Glad that part is at least over for you now so there's nothing more you can do but wait for the decision. Waiting times are between 2-12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello @catell thank you for reaching out, well done for getting through the assessment.

I know from my own experience that it was extremely draining, and that was in my own home, so I can understand the way you're feeling. It's very easy to feel anxious about the outcome, but the best thing to do, is avoid thinking about it, if you possibly can.

You've done the hardest part now, and it's positive to hear your assessor was considerate of your feelings and boundaries. Everyone's experience is different, but hopefully someone who has had a face to face assessment at a centre will be able to share their thoughts with you.

Personally, I didn't refuse to do the physical part, but because I was nervous, my body and muscles were naturally tight on top of my cerebral palsy.

If you can, focus on spending time doing things you enjoy and spending time with people whose company cheers you up, anything that will help distract from the wait before you receive your decision letter. 

If there's anything you're still unsure of or feel we can help with, please don't hesitate to ask :) And keep us updated on how things go.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • catell
    catell Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, really helpful.

If anyone has had any experience of such a long assessment and/or refusing to do the physical bit at the end, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance 
  • Kershaw1961
    Kershaw1961 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi. I'M  hoping to get  some tips as iv got a video assessment coming up .This is my second time trying to get pip for my Fibromyalgia. I tried last year and had a face to face last August. After being refused and then going to mandatory reconciliation again refused. I'm trying again with the help of C.A.B.  Not sure what to expect on the day .Any ideas or thoughts. Thanks In advance 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi. I'M  hoping to get  some tips as iv got a video assessment coming up .This is my second time trying to get pip for my Fibromyalgia. I tried last year and had a face to face last August. After being refused and then going to mandatory reconciliation again refused. I'm trying again with the help of C.A.B.  Not sure what to expect on the day .Any ideas or thoughts. Thanks In advance 

Was there any reason why you didn't take the last decision to Tribunal? If refused when requesting the MR the most likely outcome will usually be the decision remains the same.
    To constantly reapply using the same evidence you previously used could see constant refusals.
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis. What matters is how those conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities.
    The video assessment will be the same as the face to face one you had last year, other than this time it's a video call.
    You will be asked questions about your health conditions and how they affect you. Try not to answer any questions with just a yes or no and give as much detail as possible.
    When you filled out the form this time if you didn't give a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies then you can do this for the assessment.
    Before the assessment i'd advise you to write these down and include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Once the report is returned to DWP decisions can take between 2-12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Keep a glass of water available in case you need it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kershaw1961
    Kershaw1961 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Poppy. I'm trying again with some new evidence to backup my first application alsoas it turns out my GP was never connected amongst other things. My rejection letter came Xmas eve and I wasn't in the frame of mind to carry on. It was March before I was persuaded to try again by family, friends and GP who had said would back me previously. I'm working part-time and I'm very lucky to have great support at M+S however I'm not sure I'm doing myself any favours by pushing myself even though I'm not ready to stop working just yet  as it will definitely affect my mental health. I'm 61 and just hoping to carry on another year or two. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    turns out my GP was never connected amongst other things.

That's not unusual because they very rarely contact anyone. The onus is on you to prove you qualify, not their's.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.