Hi, my name is danjj84! Has anyone else experienced being on long term sick leave after covid? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is danjj84! Has anyone else experienced being on long term sick leave after covid?

Options
danjj84
danjj84 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 2022 in Start here and say hello!
Hi All,

I've just joined after lurking and reading for the last few months.

I suffer with Anxeity & Depression along with a recent Chronic Pain Syndrome, Fibro and CFS diagnosis. I caught Covid 19 in July 2021 and whilst did not seem severe at the time, has left me quite debilitated and with this conditions.

Before I was a very busy person and had a high responsibility job in retail as an Area Manager managing multiple sites over the North West. I have not worked since August 2021 and now on long term sick leave. Has anyone else ended up in the same situation? I would be grateful if you could share how you have coped with the adjustment, pain, conditions and family life etc.

I have a PIP claim currently awaiting a decision on, with an assessment awaiting for UC/ESA. The benefits system was new to me as i've always been able to work, a very steep learning curve. Although I would happily share my experiences with the process if it would help anyone.

Nice to become a member. Thanks Dan, 38 from North Wales :)

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community from me too @danjj84 :) It's great to have you with us!

Thank you for sharing your experiences so openly here. I hope that one of our members who's been in a similar situation will find your post soon. We've certainly heard a lot of people talk about the challenges of adapting to a new way of life for a number of different reasons, so you're not alone. 

You can see the categories of discussion we have here on the categories page. You may be particularly interested in the following categories:
    Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your conditions? 

Best of luck with your benefits claims :) The system can definitely be a bit confusing and overwhelming!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • danjj84
    danjj84 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Tori_Scope

Hi I have been very lucky with support, I have a supportive GP, Therepist (Helen has been helping me for two years so we have a good relationship and understanding) and Consultant. I was privilaged to be in a good position financially to pay to see them privately, which I appreciate not everyone is.

I have a supportive partner who is now really my carer.

I will take a look at those sections and have a read. I've joined to try share experiences and talk to people with the same conditions so hopefully can gain a better way to cope, as its very difficult at times for myself aswell as my partner and children.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @danjj84, it's nice to see you join us. 

I'm glad that you have a good support network in place, that must be really comforting to know that you have access to those individuals if you ever need help with managing things.

I'm sure that this community will act as another outlet for you too, so please feel free to have a look around and get involved :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.