Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Son with ASD will not leave house
Hi, my son is almost 17 and over the past 9 months has declined tremendously. He has not settled at college, will not accept any support and no longer leaves the house unless absolutely necessary.
He spends his days lying on his bed on his phone or on his laptop. If I limit the time he has a huge meltdown. I’ve also found out he has been taking his sleeping tablets out of his mouth and hiding them.
His DLA stopped at 16 yrs and PIP said he wasn’t entitled (I’m appealing) I’ve approached the dr who referred him (twice) to the youth mental health team and he’s on a wait list. The council don’t return my calls and the college said I have to drive him to college but I work so this isn’t possible and the mornings are turning into an almost physical battle.
If I try and have a conversation with him he just says “I don’t know” and hates to be in the same room as me. He has started shouting at me and disrespecting all the house rules that have always been there. He talks to me like dirt and will not accept the consequences.
I have a younger son that has additional needs and this is all impacting on him too.
- All Categories
- 13.2K Start here and say hello!
- 6.9K Coffee lounge
- 89 Games lounge
- 474 Cost of living
- 4.5K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 227 Community updates
- 9.5K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.6K Work and employment
- 798 Education
- 1.7K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 650 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 373 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 821 Transport and travel
- 31.6K Talk about money
- 4.5K Benefits and financial support
- 5.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 17K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 879 Chronic pain and pain management
- 179 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.3K Mental health and wellbeing
- 327 Sensory impairments
- 827 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions