Son with ASD will not leave house — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son with ASD will not leave house

Options
emmal3417
emmal3417 Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Hi, my son is almost 17 and over the past 9 months has declined tremendously. He has not settled at college, will not accept any support and no longer leaves the house unless absolutely necessary. 

He spends his days lying on his bed on his phone or on his laptop. If I limit the time he has a huge meltdown. I’ve also found out he has been taking his sleeping tablets out of his mouth and hiding them. 

His DLA stopped at 16 yrs and PIP said he wasn’t entitled (I’m appealing) I’ve approached the dr who referred him (twice) to the youth mental health team and he’s on a wait list. The council don’t return my calls and the college said I have to drive him to college but I work so this isn’t possible and the mornings are turning into an almost physical battle. 

If I try and have a conversation with him he just says “I don’t know” and hates to be in the same room as me. He has started shouting at me and disrespecting all the house rules that have always been there. He talks to me like dirt and will not accept the consequences. 

I have a younger son that has additional needs and this is all impacting on him too. 

Tagged:

Comments

• CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    @emmal3417. I’ve just read your post and a lot of what I read resonated with myself. My daughter is a bit older than your son but I had gone through similar things with her. She still rarely goes out (unless accompanied) but now does a part time course.

I can’t offer much advice only to keep going with asking for help. Perhaps someone else on here can offer a little more direction. 

Do you have idea how long the waiting list is at the youth mental health team? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options

Hi @emmal3417, how are you getting on? Are things still the same with your son?

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.