If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

London with a wheelchair

Options
OH2
OH2 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I (78) will be visiting my son in London for 2 weeks in late March. I can only walk about two blocks, and have chronic fatigue, so if I go up a few flights of stairs, I am finished for the morning.  My fully mobile wife (72) will be along.

We are staying at a hotel at Chalkfarms Tube stop.  My choices: mostly hangout at the hotel and near neighborhood. I like the neighborhood and  can pursue my photography. 

If I want to go further, V&A, Welcome Collection, Portobello Road, should I try renting a wheelchair? A lighter one that my wife and son can haul up and down Tube stairs, or in and out of cabs?  What about wheelchairs on busses? Or is that a great deal of trouble? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

A lightweight wheelchair will be OK to take up and down few stairs obviously without you in it 

Steps in a wheelchair are OK if they are not high and only 1 step and the person has strength to tilt you back and over the step but more than one isn't possible 

Most buses are accessible for wheelchair the buses have a ramp the driver operates to get you on and off . But then you need a wheelchair bay on the bus or transfer to a sear and fold the chair down 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.