If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Rach91! Over three long months after my assessment I've been awarded LCWRA

Options
2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Indeed @calcotti. You have raised a really important point. However, there are also eligibility criteria (for instance, disability). Then your application gets prioritised if you can tick the box to say for example that you are applying under protected characteristics  :)

No one is automatically entitled to ESA or UC, even with a DS1500 form for those with a diagnosis of 6 months or less. Whether they're entitled in the first place will totally depend on their circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Rach91 said:
    @calcotti I have currently been working 15 hours a week manage so been getting UC payments, but I am leaving my job tomorrow as I am not able I to cope I’m hoping this will not affect my ESA Payments as I know I will have to declare this straight away
    Leaving a job will not affect your ESA payments (presumably you were earning less than ÂŁ143/week) but, as you say, you should let them know. Obviously you need to tell UC too.

The loss of earnings may increase your future UC payments (it won't if you previous earnings were below any Work Allowance applied to the claim).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited March 2022
    Options
    poppy123456 said: No one is automatically entitled to ESA or UC, even with a DS1500 form for those with a diagnosis of 6 months or less. 
    I would say that there is automatic entitlement (subject to being eligible) for those reasonably expected to die within six months. It is true that the DS1500 itself isn't an absolute guarantee because DWP can (and do sometimes) take the view that the DS1500 has been incorrectly issued.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited March 2022
    Options
    L_Volunteer said:.. there are also eligibility criteria (for instance, disability). Then your application gets prioritised if you can tick the box to say for example that you are applying under protected characteristics  :)
    Eligibility and entitlement are different. Having a disability is assessed to establish entitlement, it is not part of the eligibility criteria. I am not aware of any prioritising of claimants with protected characteristics. There aren't any boxes to tick about protected characteristics as part of the claim process (although obviously age and sex are revealed).
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    poppy123456 said: No one is automatically entitled to ESA or UC, even with a DS1500 form for those with a diagnosis of 6 months or less. 
    I would say that there is automatic entitlement (subject to being eligible) for those reasonably expected to die within six months. It is true that the DS1500 itself isn't an absolute guarantee because DWP can (and do sometimes) take the view that the DS1500 has been incorrectly issued.

subject to being eligible is what i meant, sorry i should have mentioned that. Badly worded on my part.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Rach91
    Rach91 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    @calcotti
    thats a relief thank you I will inform them as soon as and I was getting 142 pounds a week so, do I just enter my change of work circumstances into my diary will that inform both UC and ESA 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Rach91 said:
    @calcotti
    thats a relief thank you I will inform them as soon as and I was getting 142 pounds a week so, do I just enter my change of work circumstances into my diary will that inform both UC and ESA 
    For UC you should use 'Report a Change' in the UC journal and report a change to your employment.
    I think you should contact ESA separately.
  • Rach91
    Options
    @calcotti hi again I have just received a letter in my journal explain I have a large payment form 6THFEB2021-5THFEB 2022 For LCWRA due to health conditions why has it been backdated so far back when I applied for ESA three months ago even though my UC credit account has been left open 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2022
    Options
    When did you apply for UC and when did you report a health condition to UC? 

Can you remember if the health questionnaire you completed was a UC50 or an ESA50? When did you complete it?

If you are already getting UC then getting ESA will not increase your overall income as the ESA will simply be deducted from your UC.
  • Rach91
    Options
    @calcotti it’s really confusing I have had an open UC claim since the pandemic and they been topping me up when I’m off work? I applied for ESA50 three months ago now been left a message on my universal journal saying they have back dated me a year 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2022
    Options
    As per previous post, have you previously reported a health condition and Fit Notes to UC?
  • Rach91
    Options
    No just sent a fit note for my esa claim 
  • calcotti
    Options
    I have no explanation then. You may wish to question it because if UC have overpaid you they are entitled to recover the money even if it is their mistake.
  • Rach91
    Options
    I don’t think it’s a mistake as they have shown me what I should of been paid previously when I click on payments 
  • calcotti
    Options
    If they think you are due LCWRA from February 2021 they will have recalculated the statements. The question you asked is why you are due it from then and your answers haven’t indicated an explanation.
  • Rach91
    Options
    Thank you for your reply I was getting confused Because it seams UC is topped up by ESA or the other way around, I have never applied before for certain benefits so all new to me 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Rach91 said:
    Thank you for your reply I was getting confused Because it seams UC is topped up by ESA or the other way around, I have never applied before for certain benefits so all new to me 
    In effect UC top six up the ESA because the ESA I should fixed whereas the UC varies. This means that any ESA you receive is deducted from the UC that would otherwise be payable if there was no ESA.

still do not understand why your LCWRAi being backdated to February 2021 if you only reported your health condition to UC three months ago, which is what you appear to have said.
  • Rach91
    Options
    I reported to UC I have gone on to a zero hour contract over a year ago because of my health I think that is the reason it backdated, but I only applied for ESA over three months ago 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That would not have been the reason why they backdated it a year. Having read through the thread again, i agree with calcotti, i can't see any reason why they should have backdated the money this far back. If i were you then i'd ask them why this was done because all overpayments are recoverable, even if it's their error.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Rach91 said:
    I reported to UC I have gone on to a zero hour contract over a year ago because of my health I think that is the reason it backdated, but I only applied for ESA over three months ago 
    For backdating to be correct you would need to have reported your health condition and provided details of Fit Notes.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.