Hi, my name is lil1690!I have a question about my legacy benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is lil1690!I have a question about my legacy benefits

Options
lil1690
lil1690 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Was put in Support Group ESA CB  around 2013, then awarded enhanced pip on both components, I lived in Belfast at the time bit owned a house here in Scotland that my sons lived in. I have moved back home with a partner, I still get these benefits though I have no carer since moving back home, my partner is now on State Pension and full pip, no carer. I never could understand why I was put on CB Esa and so we have no legacy benefits, I can't apply for any because I am CB. I was advised by someone to look you up and also to ask for an Esa3 form, I done want to rock the boat and end up with no Esa at all and also I don't want to start a new Esa claim, I am old style contributions based and there is a word I use but I can't remember what it is, that explains how to do this. Can you advise me on what to do next, who to contact  in Scotland etc. Thank you.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lil1690

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Thank you for already managing to find the courage to reach out for support.

Unfortunately, ESA is not my area of expertise. This means I can only hope someone with more knowledge in this area is able to respond to you soon.

In the meantime, I just wanted to respond to greet you and let you know we hear you and are here for you. If there is anything else we can help with, please just let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the reason you were put on contribution not income related is because of the house you owned but didn't live in being classed as capital unless your sons are disabled. Also what was your partner doing at the time? If he was working it would have also had an impact on your claim. I don't know what you could claim now is you are a mixed age couple. Maybe you could have income related ESA but it would be as a couple and I don't know if your partners pension would stop it. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you still have capital that is over £16,000 (including property you own that you do not live in)? If so you are excluded from means tested benefits.

If not you can ask to be assessed for income based ESA and they will, as you say, send you an ESA3 to complete. If you are living as if a married couple you will need to add your partner to the financial information you provide.

The ESA will include a pensioner premium for them.

If you are the only adults in the household and nobody claims Carer's Allowance or the carer element of UC or looking after either of you then you will both be entitled to a Severe Disability Premium in the calculation also.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.