Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

what on earth are "household savings?"

Options
Aella
Aella Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
I was just doing an online calculator to find out if I could get any other benefits, and it asked me to enter "household savings."  I live with my mum.  If she has savings of her own am I meant to include them?  If her savings and mine combined are over £6K do I need to declare that?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In respect of benefits your mother and you are separate households so you do not include her savings when calculating your entitlement. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,099 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As above but you do need to declare all your own savings even if well below £6,000.

2024 Election won

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,998 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

No such obligation has ever existed. The only obligation is to declare capital over the lower capital limit or over the upper capital limit.
    Yes indeed. I have some savings, less than £6,000 but I haven’t declared it for exactly this reason. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    But when you sign up or make a new claim it asks how much your savings are and doesn't specify what level to report, just asks how much you have in savings. For UC there's no option not to fill it in but if you put zero that would be a lie. So isn't that fraud? 

I get if later you end up saving and having £5000 you don't need to tell them, but when signing up initially surely you do? As otherwise you're lying on the application form?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    But when you sign up or make a new claim it asks how much your savings are and doesn't specify what level to report, just asks how much you have in savings. 
    For UC it used to say do you have savings? and then had three options - Less than £6,000, between £6,000 and £16,000 and over £16,000.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    calcotti said:
    But when you sign up or make a new claim it asks how much your savings are and doesn't specify what level to report, just asks how much you have in savings. 
    For UC it used to say do you have savings? and then had three options - Less than £6,000, between £6,000 and £16,000 and over £16,000.

That must be quite some time ago as it asks what types of account you have and gives about 10 options (including "over £100 in cash") and then asks how many of each of those accounts you have, and then a field that asks how much exactly is in all of those accounts and in cash combined with a field to input an amount which you can't go past without entering a figure.

• Biblioklept
    Options
    I don't think I ever called anyone a bully?
    I said fraud but I didn't say benefit fraud.

Fraud is deceit and I don't agree with lying. I don't think it is okay when on an application it asks how much in is in your accounts and in cash over £100 to put a dishonest answer as long as it means you are not overpaid?? As that would be the only way not to declare it, like in the universal credit example I gave above. So it does seem there is an obligation to declare it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,998 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
     All i remember is ticking "no" to savings over £6,000 because she didn't have anywhere near this. I know i didn't tell them how much she had at the time because it was a lot less than the lower amount. Her UC claim started in Jan 2021.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    It feels like words are being put in my mouth that I haven't said. 

It was said there is no obligation to tell them about savings under £6000 which I agreed but said there also is no way not to when first starting a claim without lying. Like when claiming UC it asks specifically to tell them of any money you have in your all of your accounts (saving and current) AND in cash over £100, my point was there is no way to progress the claim without either lying or declaring the amount even if it is under £6000. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.