Access to Work Questions + PIP Question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Access to Work Questions + PIP Question

Options
Raindrops1999
Raindrops1999 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hello everyone,

I found this really suitable job that I applied for in November 2021. However, due to poor transport links I wasn't able to go for the position. However, I've realised because I have autism and mental health issues, that I could be eligible for Access to Work via the government. So, I've emailed the company and asked if I could have another interview and sent them an Access to Work website link.

The questions I'm asking are: 
  1. Does anyone use Access to Work for getting to work? For example, using a taxi to get to work?

2. If you do use a taxi, what's the furthest you're allowed to commute to?

3. Do you need mobility PIP to be eligible for taxi transport?

I really just want to work even though I'm on benefits. It's an emailing and writing customer service job. I think that I'll be really good at it because my English IGCSE was an A* grade.

Thanks all. 

Comments

• Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    Options
    Access to Work is notorious for being a really beareaucratic process. it would take months to get things approved, it's all paper-based and would require lots of time, chasing up and other things you would find very difficult to do. Even before the pandemic there were issues with the scheme that make it largely unfit for purpose. A lot of employers know this. Plus there are department wide delays in getting things like PIP and AtW processed and reviewed. this is a recent news article on it.

As an aside, asking for another interview months after the position has closed breaks the unwritten social rules in the eyes of neurotypicals. In their eyes, the position has closed, they've filled it and the matter is closed. You as a jobseeker are expected to move on from the position and apply for other opportunities.

The world of work has a lot of very confusing unwritten social rules. i'm autistic and i don't get it either, but employers expect you to know these social rules before you engage. it's harsh but it's true, that's why i had to step back for my own wellbeing.

You're far better off looking for remote work that you can do from home or go self-employed where you don't have to deal with situations like this as much. i'd also start reading up careers advice and developing your skills outside of education. maybe try to do some volunteering first?

I watched a guy's youtube videos called A Life after Layoff that spelt out a lot of the workplace social rules. helped me understand things (such as the signs i was about to be let go form my last job).
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Access to work does provide funds for taxi but only if the person is unable to use public transport due to their disability not because you have issues with transport links 

Atw as above is very complicated process and you would have to be offered or in work to request this so they know the cost involved by you providing 3 quotes from taxi companies 

Also as above it is unlikely a vacancy advertised in Nov will not have been filled by now however there maybe other opportunities cone up 

There are lots of reputable employers out there that are disability aware so don't be put off applying for other roles 

Scope also have a work support programme you maybe interested in which can be found in the employment section 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.