Homeschool — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Homeschool

Options
Lorraine80
Lorraine80 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm new! My 11 year old daughter is about to be assessed for ASD and has severe anxiety. School is a huge issue for her. [sensitive details removed by moderator]. She is currently off school as mentally very fragile. I am currently off work to take care of her and I know she won't be at school for some time. Has anybody decided to homeschool their SEN child and if so, what support is out there? Many thanks in advance. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Lorraine80 thanks for reaching out today and sharing your concerns on the community. I hope it's okay that I've removed some of the details from your post, as some members might find it triggering. 

Can I ask what support your daughter has access to at the moment, are you in touch with CAMS? And have you been able to speak to her GP about how she's been feeling at all? 

How are you getting on, do you have a partner who can help support you? It's important to look after your own health too. The mental health charity mind has some information for parents or carers of young people struggling with mental health.

I know you mention home schooling, but it might be that the school your daughter goes to is able to support you both further. Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) are definitely worth getting in touch with when it comes to additional support. 

I'll be sending you an email from community@scope.org.uk soon, so please do keep an eye out for it. In the meantime, to help our members share their thoughts, I've marked this post as unanswered. 

Please do say if you feel we can help further.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Does she have an ehcp if not see if you can get more support for her in school first as it is easier to do than to get an ehcp sorted when she is formally home schooled. 
    There's next to no financial support for home schooling even to help with loss of income. There's lots of practical support but mostly from other parents and groups not government or "official". :( 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.