MS limited mobility and toileting frequently first time flying in years very stressed about it — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MS limited mobility and toileting frequently first time flying in years very stressed about it

Options
Abbey12
Abbey12 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
MS limited mobility stroller at home but wheelchair outside and toileting frequently first time flying in years very stressed about it worrying about everything any advice would be appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Abbey12 thanks for sharing your concerns on the community today :)

It's understandable to be a bit worried when you're doing something for the first time in a while, I think a lot of people can relate to that feeling.

When are you due to fly? And what kind of advice would be most helpful for you?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, how are you today?
    i haven’t flown since the COVID pandemic, however, I relate to your limited mobility, as I have cerebral palsy and use a wheelchair when out and about. If you require assistance during the airport,I have found that assistant services at the airport can be hit and miss, but my advice is to go over to their desk, straight after check in, and get to the gate early, so that the staff can chase the assistance staff if needed. The assistance staff do a first on, last off, way of boarding and departing the aeroplane, so that there is less rush to get off. Your wheelchair does stay with you, until you board the aeroplane, however, this does go in the hold afterwards, but will be unloaded before departing the aeroplane, so that the assistance staff have your wheelchair for you. 

I hope this helps.
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Abbey12
    Options
    Alex_s
    Scope not really sure I'm just panicking about people pushed in a wheelchair for the first time to get on a plain not flown in 13 years then having to go toilet on the plain just thinking every possible thing only a short flight but I suppose I don't go out the house that much so probably a bit anxious about that as well 
  • Abbey12
    Options
    Thank you poppy really helpful information 😊 I'm flying end of May 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Abbey12 I'm glad you found @Poppy_'s reply helpful. I hope it's helped reassure you about the concerns you've mentioned? 

I can completely understand your worries, I think they're very natural. Do you have any strategies you use to help manage your anxiety, or to help feel calmer when you panic?

If you've got some you know work, you can go to the airport knowing you've got the tools to manage if you're feeling anxious.

Definitely speak to the assistance desk as Poppy says, and explain what you need and how you're feeling and they'll support you to get on and off the flight. I've found the experience similar as a fellow wheelchair user, but most people are more than happy to help :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    As a very-frequent flyer in the past I had the following strategy:
    1) Knowing all the questions I would be subjected to, I wrote every answer beforehand.  That way, upon getting to an airport I would not need to repeat myself and knew that I had everything covered.
    2) Wrote down the way I WANTED things to happen - I might be surprised.
    3) I prepared myself for the fact that there would be things go wrong - once I accepted that I could not be let down!

Since the last time I flew my needs have changed; I will be nervous when I finally get around to it.  But I will be prepared as above.

I try to predict and control the future - I wish I could chill out a bit more.  However, my advice to you is to try 'to not worry too much' and to look forward to the end result.  

Also, Brandy helps (personal experience not endorsed by Scope  B) )

I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.