16yr old autistic son, will it always be a uphill struggle? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

16yr old autistic son, will it always be a uphill struggle?

Options
sandie123
sandie123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi ,

I have just read all the posts about parents expereince with their Autistic child not leaving the house for years or not even going into the garden,

As upsetting this is to read its refreshing for me as my Autistic son wont leave the house only to go to school for 3 days in a taxi to and from home, and that is with a struggle and challenges, to try to go to appointments or the barbers is virtually impossible this has been going on for a least 8 years ,wen he was younger I could make him go places , but his 16years old now and nearly 6ft .

What I would like to ask does this get any easier , will it always be a uphill struggle, when will mental health be taken as seriously as pysical health ...

Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hello @sandie123 and welcome to the community, thanks for signing up today :) 

To help our members share their thoughts with you' I've moved your post over into our Autism and Neurodiversity category, edited the title, and marked it as unanswered. I hope that's okay.

I'm so glad to hear you've found other posts helpful to read, I'm sure your post will be just as helpful to anyone who reads it. It can be a nice feeling to know there are people going through similar situations. 

If you do need a hand with anything else please ask, and I hope our members can share their experiences with you soon.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    @Sandy_123, sorry to hear how you are struggling with your son.
    My daughter can be like this. Some good days, some not so good. I do think mental health is taken a lot more seriously but agree, the challenges are so very hard. 
    Can I ask if you’ve spoken with your GP for any advice about this? 
    Also hopefully other parents may see your post and offer any assistance…
  • BritPuddles
    BritPuddles Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Options
    @sandie123 Hi Sandie, I saw this and thought I should reply. I was only diagnosed at 31 and I found it really difficult pre diagnosis. I knew what I "HAD" to do but what I wanted to do was different. It also didnt help that I was taking jobs not because I had an interest but because I needed money. I think one thing you can do if help him find what he truely is interested in and build from there. I dont know where your son is on the autism spectrum but maybe look at what his special interests are and build things to do around that? Once he has a passion for something hopefully that will help. Being autistic isnt fun but I can imagine being a parent of an autistic child is also not fun. 

I now work in a job I love and have been in consistent work going on 6 years but I have had a lot of help with adjustments. It may be an up hill struggle for a while but getting the support right will help take burdenms off of you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.