Going for an operation alone — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going for an operation alone

Options
alexismusician
alexismusician Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me. I’m scheduled to have a tonsillectomy in a couple of days and have just been told I can’t have anyone come with me. Normally my Mum comes with me for medical appointments as I have chronic pain & fatigue, brain fog and am autistic. My counsellor said it should be a reasonable adjustment for the hospital to let my Mum come with me but the hospital said that wasn’t an option because of covid. Am I right in assuming that there’s nothing we can do to challenge what the hospital have said? 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    She wouldn't be allowed in normal times to be with you during the op, and most hospitals have strict visiting rules still due to covid, the only way round I can see is to deny the op? would that be an option?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• alexismusician
    Options
    @woodbine I can’t not have the op, my tonsils have been swollen for 2 months and it’s stopping me from working (I’m a singer). I know she wouldn’t ever have been able to come into the op with me but I was hoping she might be able to sit with me while I wait before and after. I just wasn’t sure if it would count as a reasonable adjustment or if the covid policies overrule that
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @alexismusician I take it you are over 16yrs old.
    Have you asked the hospital, via phone call or just taken it from the hospital letter ?
  • alexismusician
    Options
    @SueHeath yes I’m 26. We rang the hospital as it didn’t say on the letter
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I would consider it a reasonable adjustments I would try and get through to the ward you will be going to and ask them if 8t is day surgery ward try call them . Often the switchboard staff do not give best advice 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with Janer has Mom tried phoning the ward and explaining the situation, even if Mom is only allowed to the ward doors, 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.