Hi, my name is MRBIGS68! Could falling off a wall in the past have caused my spinal stenosis? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is MRBIGS68! Could falling off a wall in the past have caused my spinal stenosis?

Options
MRBIGS68
MRBIGS68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis after a C T scan this was about 7 years ago I also want to say.that when I was 12 years old I fell off a wall and I had traumatic brain injury I had 2 broken arms and also I couldn’t understand why I had 2 black eyes and couldn’t open them fractured skull I am wondering if this is caused the spinal stenosis in my back and I have trouble remaining this short term and long term !!

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MRBIGS68 :) Welcome to the community! Thanks for joining. 

I'm sorry to hear about your spinal stenosis and TBI. I'm sure those must be difficult to deal with at times. Do you have enough support to help you manage these conditions? 

I don't know loads about spinal stenosis, and I'm also not a medical professional. Have you spoken to your doctor about what might have caused your spinal stenosis? 

According to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, possible causes of spinal stenosis can include: 
    Causes of Spinal Stenosis

Several factors can contribute to the narrowing of the spinal canal, leading to spinal stenosis.  Normally, the vertebral canal provides enough room for the spinal cord and cauda equina.

However, aging and age-related changes in the spine, injury, other diseases, or inherited conditions can cause narrowing of the spaces.  

Aging and Age-Related Changes in the Spine

Aging and age-related changes in the spine happen over a period of time and slowly cause loss of the normal structure of the spine. They are the most common causes of spinal stenosis. As people age, the ligaments that keep the vertebrae of the spine in place may thicken and calcify (harden from deposits of calcium salts). Bones and joints may also enlarge. When surfaces of the bone begin to project out from the body, these projections are called osteophytes (bone spurs).

For example:
    • A herniated (bulging) disk may place pressure on the spinal cord or nerve root. Disks are cushion-like pads that lie between the vertebrae and act like shock absorbers and spacers for the spine. As the disk ages, it can dry out and crack, causing the disk to bulge.
    • When a segment of the spine becomes too mobile, the capsules (membranes) of the facet joints at the back of the vertebrae thicken. This effort to try to stabilize the segment can cause bone spurs, which decrease the space around the nerve roots leaving the spinal cord.
    • Spondylolisthesis happens when one vertebra slips forward on another vertebra. This creates poor alignment of the spinal column and can place pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots.
    Arthritis

Arthritis is also a common cause of spinal stenosis. Two forms of arthritis that may affect the spine are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
    • Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease in which the tissues in the joint break down over time. It is the most common type of arthritis and is more common in older people. Osteoarthritis can lead to disk degeneration and an enlargement or overgrowth of bone that narrows the central and nerve root canals, causing spinal stenosis.
    • Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a chronic (long-lasting) inflammatory disease that mostly affects joints. RA causes pain, swelling, stiffness, and loss of function in joints. It is an autoimmune disorder because the immune system attacks the healthy joint tissues.  Although not a common cause of spinal stenosis, damage from RA can cause significant problems with joints in the spine, leading to spinal stenosis.
    Other Conditions

The following conditions may cause spinal stenosis:
    • Tumors of the spine are abnormal growths of soft tissue that may affect the spinal canal directly by causing inflammation or growth of tissue into the spinal canal. This can narrow the space and cause bone changes, leading to spinal stenosis. Some people develop a rare disorder called epidural lipomatosis, which happens when fat builds up on or around the lining of the spine.
    • Fractures due to trauma (injury) or other medical conditions may either dislocate the spine and the spinal canal or cause fractures that produce fragments of bone that penetrate the canal.
    • Paget's disease of bone is a chronic (long-lasting) disorder that causes bones to grow larger and become weaker than normal. As Paget’s disease progresses, new bone forms at a faster rate than the rate at which old bone is removed. However, the new bone does not form correctly, leading to larger bones that are misshapen, weaker, and softer than normal bone. This can cause problems with blood supply and bone structure, which changes the spaces in the spinal canal, leading to spinal stenosis.
    • Ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament happens when calcium deposits form on the ligament that runs up and down behind the spine and inside the spinal canal. These deposits turn the fibrous tissue of the ligament into bone and may press on the nerves in the spinal canal.
    Inherited Conditions

Some people are born with a condition that can cause spinal stenosis. These conditions cause the spinal canal to narrow, leading to spinal stenosis. For example:
    • Congenital stenosis happens when you are born with a small and narrow spinal canal.
    • Achondroplasia is an inherited condition that causes problems with bone formation in the spine and other bones in the body.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @MRBIGS68 welcome to this lovely group - i to have spinal stenosis, mine is an inherited form following some of the women in our family, i also suffer from osteoarthritis.

It can be hard to except when your first diagnosed but you'l find as you go on more and more people with it.

I think you may get a lot from this group, so please have a look around and join in with the chats if you want.
    I look forward to seeing you around.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.