Hi, my name is Gio715! Would I be allowed to answer questions on behalf of my son? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Gio715! Would I be allowed to answer questions on behalf of my son?

Options
Gio715
Gio715 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi   everyone

Sorry to dive right in, but just need a little advice. 

i am just here for advice please.  My son has a EHCP  he has moderate/severe learning disability. He has Irlen syndrome  which is how the brain process information and dyslexia  he suffers from severe anxiety and depression and is a suicide risk  he was ok before  but we found out he was a victim of grooming from a young age recently Sexually physical emotionally and financially abused. The perpetrator is on bail waiting trial.   I was informed recently  that he was entitled to pip over the last 10 years, but didnt claim.  He has deteriored with the current case.  Thats the history.  He had a mini assessment but was told his case is too complex and needs a full assessment which is coming soon.  I know he cannot answer the questions and as a result he threatened suicide 2 days after the assessment.  I dont know how to explain this to the asessor.  He does not go outside on his own unless he is with someone or he will go out in the night. He dont attend appointments without assistance  etc.  Is there anything that can be put in place for him. He dont know about the apointment as yet because i feel he will run off  because of embarassment. Would they let me answer the questions?  Although im not sure how to myself and worries i may jeopardise  the claim. Itsmakibg me anxious as they may say sonething to trigger him. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hello @Gio715 and welcome to the community, thanks for explaining your situation and reaching out for help. 

I'm really sorry to hear about how your son has been feeling, and how you must be feeling too, and I can understand your concerns. Could I ask how much support your son is getting at the moment from your GP, or any mental health support services? And are you in touch with CAMHS at all?

Just so that I understand fully, how old is your son? I know that you can apply for PIP from the age of 16, but I'd like to check.

To help support your son's mental health, organisations like Samaritans who you can call on 116 123, and SHOUT are there to reach out to anytime. If you ever feel as though your son is in immediate danger, then please call 999 right away.

Regarding PIP, are you an appointee for your son? As an appointee you’re responsible for making and maintaining any benefit claims. Gov.uk has more information about applying to be an appointee, which I hope will be useful for you.

I can also recommend Advice Local, CAB, Welfare Rights to help seek some professional advice, and support for the process of applying for PIP.

We'd like to support you as much as we are able to, I'll be sending you an email soon from community@scope.org.uk so do keep an eye out for it.

If you feel we can help further, please ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.