is lcwra the same as esa support? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

is lcwra the same as esa support?

Options
valeyard
valeyard Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello all, my father in law is in a bit.of a strange situation, ive tried to make sense of it but i'm not great with this. he has been on universal credit for about 3 years, he was a carer for the first year and a half. then november 2020 to november 2021 he received esa. As i understand it the uc was subsequently dropped accordingly and  because some was backdated he ended up owing uc some money which they're taking, as far as we are aware (their payment breakdown doesn't match his bank statements at all). his esa ended november,they said they have kept his account open but havent made payments, whilst uc insist they have. he has applied for lcwra and been told he was eligible (stating he'll have some back pay). now esa have said he is in a support group and said he should get backdated payments for the last 6 for the last 5 months and uc are stating he owes them 3+ thousand. wondering if the esa is the lcwra. sorry if its a bit confusing and i would appreciate any insight. (he's also applied for pip)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, they are both the same. However, as he's claiming both New style ESA and UC together the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    ESA will pay him backdated money and so will UC but because the ESA is deducted in full then he'll have an overpayment for UC. If he didn't then he would end up being paid twice for the same benefit, which isn't possible.
    valeyard said:
     as far as we are aware (their payment breakdown doesn't match his bank statements at all).

Can you give some more information on exactly what you mean by this?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • valeyard
    valeyard Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Yes, they are both the same. However, as he's claiming both New style ESA and UC together the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    ESA will pay him backdated money and so will UC but because the ESA is deducted in full then he'll have an overpayment for UC. If he didn't then he would end up being paid twice for the same benefit, which isn't possible.
    valeyard said:
     as far as we are aware (their payment breakdown doesn't match his bank statements at all).

Can you give some more information on exactly what you mean by this?
    Thank you I thought this may be the case. some of his payments statements on uc journal state they the pay he would receive is around £110 but his statement showed just over £600
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,343 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    On the UC statement it will tell him the elements which he's entitled too, as well as the deductions for the ESA. For ESA Support Group the deductions for UC is £494 per month.
    For UC if he's not claiming for help with any rent then he'll be entitled to the Standard element £324.84 (if he's single) and LCWRA element £343.63 = £668.47 - £494 ESA = £174.47 UC payable. If he has deductions for anything else then that figure will of course be reduced.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    When UC recalculate entitlement they place new statements on the journal which overwrite the old ones. That will then result in a mismatch between the statements you can see and the amount previously paid. The difference is the overpayment of UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.