Employing, being 'The Boss', being a mate... Describe your approach to employing PAs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employing, being 'The Boss', being a mate... Describe your approach to employing PAs

Options
JustPete
JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
The dynamic between me and my employed PA/Carers is hugely complex.  It is individualised.  It is also extremely challenging.  More importantly, from a psychology/human interaction perspective it is enormously fascinating.

Good Employer?  Bad Boss?  OCD? or more Laid Back?

Describe your approach to being an employer of PA's.  Let's share different approaches / styles.  Share your views on how you keep a good employee?
I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I employed a PA for my daughter for 8 hours a week back in 2018. I did the interviews in our home. I advertised for exactly what I was looking for and was very nervous because I had never done anything like this before. I had no idea what to expect. Not only that, my daughter was adamant that she didn’t want any PA. 
    After the interview I knew exactly who my choice was and immediately contacted her to offer her the job. 
    She was such an extremely nice person and made a massive difference to the quality of my daughters life, despite the 25 year age difference. 
    I took the laid back approach because I didn’t want my daughter thinking it was formal and this worked for us. 
    Her PA was very flexible and changed days and times to suit my daughter. I was also flexible with the PA and this worked well for her too. 
    We always chatted before she took my daughter out and again when she brought her home. 
    I never thought of myself as her employer, more a family friend. 
    Unfortunately my daughter lost all her support when we moved local Authorities so no longer has her as a PA.
    We keep in touch and she still takes my daughter to the cinema and to concerts. I couldn’t have wished for a more loving and friendly person! 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.