How do you know if you have autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you know if you have autism

Sparklebright63
Sparklebright63 Scope Member Posts: 182 Courageous
edited March 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi to all,

How do you know if you have autism what symptoms would you have the reason I am asking as a person in our family has aspergers syndrome /are the symptoms similar or not I don't like noise/fighting/I have to do housework in a specif order and always have everything clean & tidy at all times/otherwise I feel really annoyed with myself.
Please enlighten me as I dont know about the above.

Why?

Sparklebright63.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    There's a lot more to it than what you mention here. There's some information about ASD here. https://thespectrum.org.au/autism-diagnosis/checklist-adults/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @Sparklebright63 the spectrum for autism is massive and i think a lot of us have some of these tendencies but life would be boring if we were all the same. 
    I'm no expert on this, so no help there but we all do things different and have our own ways.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sparklebright63

Thanks for your post. What a great question too! As @poppy123456 and @SueHeath mentioned, there is a wide list of diagnostic criteria for autism. It also varies between males and females. One source you might find useful is The National Autistic Society (https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis). I hope you find this useful but please do let us know if we can do anything else to support you. It sounds like a lot to process at the moment for you, bless you  :)  
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sparklebright63 :) As the others have said, looking at the diagnostic criteria can be helpful in seeing whether it's something that you might want to explore further. Is this something that you'd feel comfortable speaking to your GP about at all? They might be able to help you work out what your next steps could be, whether that be pursuing an autism diagnosis, or another kind of diagnosis. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Good afternoon Sparklebright63! Welcome to the community  :) . My younger brother has been diagnosed with Autism and he is certainly a unique individual. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get an official diagnosis for Autism.           

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.