Aspergers workplace bullying — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Aspergers workplace bullying

Options
IrishManc
IrishManc Community member Posts: 56 Pioneering
edited April 2022 in Work and employment
I wonder if anyone has any tips or advice on this - when another person at a new job “twigged” that I had Aspergers before I told anyone about my diagnosis (which others wanted me to go for a diagnosis to stop me from asserting my rights not to be bullied), they are now using this as an excuse to engage in workplace bullying because they have prior experience of dealing with this condition in thier large family and because of cultural differences believe that a person with this condition needs to be bullied “for thier own good” despite thier denials, which they class as “ultra strict parental type discipline based on moral values” - I’d endured bullying for a long time before my diagnosis both in work and elsewhere and the very thing that I was terrified of happening again has (again) come to pass - they only do this when no one else is around and every time I try to say anything, based on thier glib assumptions it is instantly shut down and dismissed as “foolishness” - this person believes that I should never have been hired in the first place and along with certain others wants me out - far from being “thick skinned” in response to bullying and despite counselling over the years that has not helped, because counsellors defended the bullies actions, it’s made things worse and this latest experience has opened up old wounds that were never allowed by others to heal via their bullying behaviour - everyone around me robustly defends the bullies and say that I have a pattern of attracting and inviting bullying at a deep level because in thier opinion I want to be eternally punished - everything I say, do, be, and act is automatically disagreed with for its own sake because it comes from me and I end up being screamed at to shut up 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry you are subject to this bullying 

Have you spoken to your manager about this 

I would put together a diary of when these events happen noting dates   times , who is present   where it took place and what happened 

Once you have this together go with it to your manager or hr manager and make a complaint if required make it formal and in writing . They should then investigate and take any required action and keep you informed until you are satisfied with the outcome 

Having it all noted down is far more powerful and not as easy to ignore 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @IrishManc :) This sounds awful, so I'm really sorry that you've had to go through it. Everyone should feel safe and respected in their place of work. 

I can see that janer1967 has already given you some great advice. It does sound as though you might need to escalate your complaint. Are you familiar with the process for submitting a complaint within your organisation? 

You may also find our page on disability discrimination at work helpful, along with the National Autistic Society's page on workplace bullying
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • RiverSong
    RiverSong Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Options
    My advice would be if you can have your phone or some sort of device that records, make sure it's doing so any time you are alone. This will catch them red handed in the act, adding undeniable evidence to the paperwork the previous commenters have suggested.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.