Permitted work, covid & stat sick pay? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted work, covid & stat sick pay?

Options
Doc87
Doc87 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi all 🙂

Hope everyone is as well as can be.

I'm after a little information and help.

I currently do permitted work and receive ESA SG doing 15hrs per week. I've been doing this since December 2021.

Yesterday I tested positive for covid and my work place has said I need to isolate in guidance with their policies, which means I can't work.

Am I entitled to statutory sick pay during this time? Or because I receive ESA SG (old style) does this mean I'm not entitled?

I'm paid through a agency and they seem as useful as a chocolate fire guard. So I thought I'd see if any of you kind folk know the score. As someone doing permitted work and not being able to earn past a certain amount seems to be alien to them 😂🤦🏼‍♀️

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    It is a condition of receiving ESA that you are not entitled to SSP so It appears that if you were to receive, or are entitled to, SSP your ESA would have to stop.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/5/section/20
    20 Relationship with statutory payments(1)A person is not entitled to an employment and support allowance in respect of a day if, for the purposes of statutory sick pay, that day—(a) is a day of incapacity for work in relation to a contract of service, and(b) falls within a period of entitlement (whether or not it is a qualifying day).
    If you are not actually feeling unwell and are simply isolating I don’t think you are entitled to SSP anyway. The issue would then appear to be what your employer is doing to support people it requests stay at home,
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.