daily care and wet room adaptation

Geegeenumber1
Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,067 Empowering
not sure if this is place to put this but i have just been offered a one bed on medical grounds with option for wet room adjustment. I already have one bed first floor and need ground but hey ho. asked for 2 bedroom for live in carer but they said no and just offered 1st floor with lift and wet room. what is having wet room like is it much easier? I struggle with bath getting in and im heavy too though have had surgery and am losing weight fast. I struggle to stand for long

I want to apply for a daily carer to help with housework for when mum cant help but would prefer my mum to do it could she apply for carers allowance shes been doing it free full time for two years and should be paid really - she does everything incl pet care which i know no one will help with

im worried i wont be able to afford to pay for a carer 

any advice welcome 

very excited about moving back to london from a rural part of essex and being close to ammenitries and life and connections and being active and close to everytthing again but dissapointment cant get the two bedrooms

hopefully will be able to buy my own property next year when get a full time graduate job but this will see me through til then thanks for reading

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,922 Championing
    Hi there 

For your mum to get carers you need to be getting pip daily living component  and she needs to care for you 35 hours per week and not earn more than £132 a week . If she claims uc she can claim carers element which has no earnings limit . If you move will she still be providing care 

You can sit in the shower in a wet room so I would say it would be a benefit for you   you can get a shower chair the ot will provide through card needs assessment 

As for care when you move get a care needs assessment and you kay find you can get some care through social services 

All sounds exciting 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Hi there 
    Hi thanks yes I get full PIP mum cares for me 24/7 and would still be caring for me if I moved unless she couldnt get paid as it would then make sense for someone else to do it as she would have to travel or id pick her up to do it. Would I pay out of my PIP? Thats what I wondered. My mum is retired she does not work. She just lives on a pension which isnt much at all . 

ive had a care needs assessment they said they will do a social services assessent when i move they didnt do one before because mums doing everything in essex

i dont really think mum should do it all for free anymore shes done it three years

i wonder if anyone could help with the cats without it costing a fortune, mum does all that she doesnt mind but its hard work, couldnt give them up but couldnt do it myself 

i hope when lose weight can get some surgery on my knees

• Geegeenumber1
    not that surgery is a cure for everyone
  • Geegeenumber1
    i help mum a lot by taking her out a lot maybe it would just be better to pay her a wage myself instead of paying out of my benefit if thats effectively what id be doing ? ive no idea how much theyd take out my benefit for a carer
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,922 Championing
    The carers allowance isn't taken off your money it is paid to your mum from the gov 

You may not have to pay for all your care that's why you need the assessment 

They will determine care requirements and then do a financial assessment to calculate who pays what 

I'm not sure on carers allowance when getting pension  @poppy123456 will know 
  • Geegeenumber1
    no i didnt mean that i meant instead of paying a carer out of my benefit i could just pay my mum a bit of money to do it if it was decided that i had to pay - i will see what the assessment works out 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    You said your mum is retired, does she claim state pension?
  • Geegeenumber1
    yes
  • poppy123456
    Then if her state pension is more than £69.70 per week (i would assume it is) then she can't be paid carers allowance because they are classed as overlapping benefits.
    It may still be worth her claiming it though because she'll have an underlying entitlement to it and could mean she maybe entitled to Pension Credit depending on her circumstances. Or an increase in Pension credit (if she already claims it) because it will include the carers premium.

• Geegeenumber1
    yes just been reading about it

thanks for looking it up

we will look into it all and see what happens

wow you have done 27,550 posts?!? That's dedication!
  • poppy123456
    It will be worth her getting a full benefits check. 
    Thanks! Yes my post count but I’ve been a member for almost 5 years and have helped a few people in that time 😉 😂
  • Geegeenumber1
    blimey thanks! il let you know how we get on
  • poppy123456
    One thing I didn’t check. Are you currently claiming any of the old legacy benefits like Income related ESA that includes a severe disability premium? If you do then this will end if someone claims carers allowance for looking after you. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. 
  • Geegeenumber1
    no im not