Capability Assessment process? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capability Assessment process?

Options
hiunique
hiunique Community member Posts: 16 Listener
edited April 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello again! I transferred over from ESA support in July to UC as I was better off. Took a while to sort out but got help from here (Thanks). Anyway after a while they sorted transferred my esa claim and gave me LCWRA element on Sept. I just got a message today on my UC journal saying this:

"We are about to start the Work Capability Assessment process.  
In order for us to start the process we need you to clarify your full GP details including GP name, address and phone number.  
We also require consent for Medical Support Services to contact your GP for medical evidence.
Please supply via a journal message on your account.  
Failure to supply these details by 09/04/2022 will result in the ending of your medical journey with Universal Credit.  
Regards,
WCA Team"

First thing is the date today is 11/04/22 or its already past the date they said I have to reply by. My main issue is I do not know the Work Capability Assessment process on UC. I even forget it on ESA as I get help. When do I submit my evidence and medical info or are they going off my ESA claim info and evidence as I dont think its that old. Are they looking to just speak to my GP as they have the info? Do I get forms to fill in? I really dont get whats going on if this is from when I first claimed (only did form assessments with ESA) or is the now a new assessment now. Is it normal they only ask about GP with no forms sent out? Should I bring up that the date they gave me is already past they day they sent the message. I am just full of anxiety and worry every time they contact me and worse with assessments!

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    This may be an error. 
    If they were reassessing you I would expect the letter to say that and to tell you that they will be or have issued a UC50 for you to complete.

Suggest you put a message in your journal pointing out that as you are already treated as having LCWRA you are not clear what is happening and ask for clarification.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • hiunique
    Options
    calcotti said:
    This may be an error. 
    If they were reassessing you I would expect the letter to say that and to tell you that they will be or have issued a UC50 for you to complete.

Suggest you put a message in your journal pointing out that as you are already treated as having LCWRA you are not clear what is happening and ask for clarification.
    Thx for reply. So when I transferred over from ESA would they have assessed me / my files that moved over to give me LCWRA or would they have just continued the remainder of my ESA support time left and its now my reassessing? I'm not sure how to word it to them also.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    The assessment process for UC is identical to the assessment process for ESA.

When you transferred from ESA your Support group status transferred across as 'having LCWRA'. They will not have carried out a new assessment. At some date you will be reassessed but the letter you have quoted doesn't sound the start of a reassessment (but it may be).

Something like this:
    "I confirm receipt of message dated. As I have already been As I am already treated as having LCWRA and receiving the LCWRA element I do not understand the message. Could you please clarify. Please note also that although the message says i should reply by 9th April I only received it today."

If you have no objection, it may be sensible to provide them with the GP details they have requested.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • hiunique
    edited April 2022
    Options
    calcotti said:
    The assessment process for UC is identical to the assessment process for ESA.

When you transferred from ESA your Support group status transferred across as 'having LCWRA'. They will not have carried out a new assessment. At some date you will be reassessed but the letter you have quoted doesn't sound the start of a reassessment (but it may be).

Something like this:
    "I confirm receipt of message dated. As I have already been As I am already treated as having LCWRA and receiving the LCWRA element I do not understand the message. Could you please clarify. Please note also that although the message says i should reply by 9th April I only received it today."

If you have no objection, it may be sensible to provide them with the GP details they have requested.

Thank you for a reply again. I messaged them and hopefully it clears things up. Will let you know if any confusing replies. Still confused to why no forms or letters or medical evidence.
  • hiunique
    Options
    Morning hope all is well. They replied just telling me its a review. Does anyone know when I would be expected to fill in forms and submit my medical evidence. Do you think they are looking at my details on file and speaking to my GP to see if that is enough before they send for medical evidence and more info(form)? Bit confused of the process. I thought you get notified of a review then they send a form for info including GP stuff and you give in medical evidence which I have 3 letters. Someone told me they normally speak to a GP once they have went over submitted info but obviously I have had no forms or anything for this review so do not get the process. Thanks. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,288 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't understand why they're asking for this. Those questions are asked when you fill out the work capability assessment form.
    They don't always contact a GP for evidence either. I've had 3 or 4 WCA's in 9 years and my GP has only ever been contacted once.
    As calcotti has advised when you're referred for the work capability assessment you'll receive a letter onto your journal. A few days later you should receive the form in the post, which is identical to the ESA50. The process for both is the same. You will still need to send any evidence you have with the form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hiunique
    Options
    Hi poppy. I double checked for a letter on my journal and nothing and I have had no post. Just has me a worried to what is going on.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,
    You have confirmed that you are receiving the LCWRA element currently in your UC. Unfortunately, despite the rules set out above, the DWP can still apply the work capability assessment to you again. How long ago was the last assessment you had for your ESA ? If it was some time ago this might be why they are requiring a further assessment.  They will send a UC50 form to you and whilst the DWP may be calling the process a review you must give as much information and answer the questions as fully and with as much detail as you can. You can still explain, if this is the case, that you feel that a further reassessment is not appropriate as your medical conditions are such that they will not improve and the assessment process will have a negative impact on your physical and mental health. 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.