Can I do suitable part time paid work when on UC and LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I do suitable part time paid work when on UC and LCWRA

Options
Yeovilboy1
Yeovilboy1 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help.

I have been gaining UC along with additional payment for being in the LCWRA group, which means that I am not presently required to look for work or do work related activities. 

I am wondering if I can do any appropriate part time paid work without my current UC and LCWRA payments being at all effected. I believe there may be a work allowance for someone in my position.

I am aware I can do volunteering, which is good. I think that a few suitable paid hours per week could be good for my health and aid my recovery, though I do not want to jeopardise my current benefit position, which makes an essential difference for me.

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no maximum amount of hours you can work or maximum amount of earnings you can receive. People do work while claiming LCWRA.
    However, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you were found to have LCWRA then it could go against you when you're next reassessed.
    You will have the work allowance, which means that a certain amount of earnings will be ignored before the 55% deductions apply.
    If you claim for help with the rent the work allowance is £344, if you don't it's £573.
    If you do start working you must report a change of circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yeovilboy1
    Options
    Thank you Poppy. That is very clear. May I also ask if there are timescales for reassessments or if these can be instructed at any time by DWP. Thank you, David.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They can be done at any time. DWP will have a note on your file with a recommended reassessment date but these are frequently missed and at the moment all reassessments are, as I understand it, on hold.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Yeovilboy1
    Options
    Thank you Calcotti, much appreciated, David.
  • Yeovilboy1
    Options
    Hi Poppy / Calcotti,

You have been really helpful thank you. Just one final thing if I may. As I get help with rent, my work allowance is £344.  Whilst bearing in mind the considerations you have clarified, am I permitted to keep any amount of earnings I may get up to £344 per month AND retain the entirety of the UC and LCWRA benefits I receive. 

Thank you very much. David 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Yeovilboy1 said:..am I permitted to keep any amount of earnings I may get up to £344 per month AND retain the entirety of the UC and LCWRA benefits I receive. 
    Yes. The Work Allowance means that earnings up to that amount are completely ignored.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.