Inaccessible Housing and Temporary Carer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inaccessible Housing and Temporary Carer

missronzo Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi, I currently live with my dad, I am 24F and I am physically disabled due to an accident last year. Since then I've been using crutches and a wheelchair to move around. I also struggle with mental health disorders such as PTSD, DID, Anorexia, Anxiety and Depression. They're suspecting an autoimmune disease too.

I recently had a hip procedure which has caused me to become completely bedbound. I can't use my crutches and because I live in a maisonette I cannot use my wheelchair indoors. This means I rely on my dad to pick me up to help me around. My dad currently privately rents this flat but there's two sets of stairs to get in which I cannot climb and have had trouble with for the last year. 

My question is, would I be rehoused? I wanted to move out before the accident anyway but couldn't. But I physically can not get around anymore because its so inaccessible. I also was thinking of getting a carer but unsure how I would go about this but I do think it's quite bit much for my dad as its just me and him. I couldn't live in a shared accommodation because of my PTSD and DID.

I do not work and was awarded LCWRA recently. I also am waiting for PIP and ESA (contributions, I worked before the accident) to get back to me. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,556 Disability Gamechanger
    You can refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local Authority. Start here for this.
    Are you on the waiting list for social housing in your area? If not then you need to do that first. It won't be easy getting rehoused with social housing but the needs assessment may help, It's just not guaranteed. Even if you're placed into the highest band for your circumstances the wait could still be many years.
    There's privately renting but only issue with this is that a lot of landlords won't accept those that are claiming benefits. Some may if you have a guarantor but even then it's still not easy. You can claim for help with the rent through Universal Credit but as you're under 35 you'll only be entitled to the shared rate of local housing allowance (LHA) unless you're awarded PIP daily living and then you'll be entitled to 1bedroom rate.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.