Hi, my name is chrissy1992! Having trouble getting through to my local council with housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is chrissy1992! Having trouble getting through to my local council with housing

chrissy1992 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi i am having trouble getting through to my local council with housing i currently have two children diagnosed one was diagnosed 2018 and my daughter just last month i currently live in a 2 bedroom house with my motherin law and my partner his cousin and two asd kids  in one room there is me and my partner and the two kids we have spoken to loads of people to see if we can get help for a bigger house as my mother in law helps with the kids with my partner while i work so idealy would like to move together we know there are some house that are empty near us and have been for a while now know one seems to help my daughter is 10 and my son is 9 he got diagnosed at 5 and housing said just cause he has autism does mean he is entitled to his own room they dont have there own space and it is getting to point where we are thinking of staying downstairs just to get some space  i have messaged autism.org and waiting to hear back


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,886 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you privately renting or from social housing? The empty houses near you maybe privately owned, rather than social housing.
    2 Bedroom house with all of your family is rather overcrowed. Have you ever referred your children for a needs assessment from your Local Authority? If not, then you can start that process here. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/
    Have you also looked for a house from a private landlord? This may also be an option, however, it maybe difficult if you claim benefits for help with any rent because landlords often refuse these tenants. It may still be worth having a search on the internet for your local area.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chrissy1992
    chrissy1992 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    It is rented from the council and the empty house is council aswell cause we knew the people who you use to live there 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.