Paid work from home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paid work from home

Options
smokey18
smokey18 Scope Member Posts: 26 Connected
edited September 2022 in Work and employment
I am looking for any advice on where I could find work from home, paid employment for at one least a year. I am hoping that this will be the time scale that I will need to improve on my confidence and emotional wellbeing.

I returned to work, after being on sick leave for two years in April 2020, following a stroke in 2018. Since my return to work  I have not found it to be as supportive experience for me as I would have hope for. As such I  am looking to find paid work from home, in the hope that I can use the time to rebuild my confidence and feelings of self worth which further decreased since going back to work for my current employer. As such I am seeking any advice anyone can offer me.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @smokey18. Thanks for reaching out to us. I appreciate how much courage it can take to reach out for advice.

A general website where you could find work from home is Indeed (by typing in home-based in the where box). 

I am just wondering, are you looking for any particular types of home-based jobs? For example, do you have a particular area of employment interest?

I hope it helps you by giving you the time you need to improve your confidence, self-worth and emotional wellbeing. Do you have any support for this in place at the moment or is this something you would like more of?

It sounds really difficult for you that you have not found your return to work to be a supportive experience since your stroke. Supportive employers are really important and valuable.

I will look forward to hopefully hearing from you again soon and supporting you further with your quest to start working from home  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • smokey18
    Options
    Hi volunteer
    Thank you for responding to me. 

I am a therapeutic family support worker and have been employed with my current employer for 8 years, including the two years I was off sick, following my stroke. 

I am thinking about, maybe an admin role in this field of work to keep me informed.

I haven't really got any support to help me with my search for new employment at the moment. 

i am also seeking support on how to navigate through scope online community 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'd imagine that there are quite a few home-based admin roles out there, @smokey18, as more employers offer remote opportunities. It's also worth remembering that some employers will consider flexible working requests, including home working, even if the role isn't advertised as remote. 

If you'd like some support finding suitable employment, you might be interested in accessing one of our friendly employment services. We also have an information and advice page on homeworking, which you may find helpful to read.

Is there any particular support you'd like in terms of navigating the community? 

Two good places to start when finding your bearings are the categories page, and our list of the most recent discussions.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • smokey18
    Options
    thank you so much for this information - its just that i am not computer savvy   
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know that feeling well @smokey18. I'm also not computer savvy - or as computer savvy as some people I know at least. 

You are more welcome for the information. The information is the very least you deserve. Please let us know if we can do anything to support you further or if you have any more questions for us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • smokey18
    Options
    Hello L_Volunteer i dont know if you are the right person to speak to but i was told by employer on Friday that they are terminating my contract on the grounds of medical capability. i am left feeling quiet low low and worthless at the moment.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @smokey18 I'm really sorry to hear your news, did they explain how much longer you have left on your contract, and exactly why it's being terminated? It may be discrimination if you are fired due to disability-related absences.

If you feel you have been discriminated against there are steps you can take to raise concerns, Scope has guidance on disability discrimination at work but you might also like to contact ACAS who provide  advice and support on workplace issues.

Please remember that you are certainly not worthless, and the community are here to support you in moving forward, so please do ask if there's anything you feel we can do to help further.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • smokey18
    Options
    Thanks for replying to me . They related that they had concerns regarding my performance which they refer to the discussion they had with me on the 26th January when they wanted to view my action as gross misconduct but following the report from my recent occupational health assessment they have concluded, there has been no improvement with my medical condition since the previous occupational health report of the 17th September 2021. They conclude that i continue to have difficulties with my short term memory, ability to concentrate and with right hand function. They said if they allow me to continue in my role this would have a significant impact on your own health and well-being, resulting in further long term absences.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.