energy bills on uc — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

energy bills on uc

Options
vulcan56
vulcan56 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited April 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi. im 64 yrs old with health conditions my next energy bill will be £200 for the month yet i only get £75 a week uc. to live on so that leaves £100 a month for internet; water; council tax; food; bus fairs; clothes,ect  it won't stretch that far. shall i just end it.

Comments

• vulcan56
    vulcan56 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    oh forgot and £12 a month bus fairs to to the job centre.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    If you are not already claiming it you are likely to be able to claim Council Tax Reduction from your local authority which would help with your Council Tax (although in most local authorities it doesn’t cover all of it).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you checked you are getting all the benefits you should be getting?

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/survey/1/a71cafd6-ac9d-4d66-9b7c-e35f96b4b7bc
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/survey/1/a71cafd6-ac9d-4d66-9b7c-e35f96b4b7bc

OP is claiming UC which has replaced all other benefits and the only one left to claim is Council tax reduction, advised by calcotti.
    Of course there's also PIP but a benefits calculator wouldn't show entitlement to this because it's a disability benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    woodbine said:

OP is claiming UC which has replaced all other benefits and the only one left to claim is Council tax reduction, advised by calcotti.
    Of course there's also PIP but a benefits calculator wouldn't show entitlement to this because it's a disability benefit.
    <deleted by woodbine>
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    Options
    OP, if you have any health problems affecting your ability to work have you ever had a Work Capability Assessment?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    OP, if you have any health problems affecting your ability to work have you ever had a Work Capability Assessment?

Another thread suggests OP is currently waiting for their WCA. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/89943/got-to-go-to-jobcentre-weekly-on-sick#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Thanks for highlighting, poppy.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @vulcan56 something which might be able to help with energy bills is the Disability Energy Support Service from Scope.

Support with your energy and water needs

Our expert advisers can help and talk you through a wide range of topics related to your energy and water needs, including:

• managing energy and water debt
    • changing your meter
    • energy and water efficiency
    • accessing benefits, grants, and trusts
    • free fuel vouchers (conditions apply)
    • contacting or complaining to your supplier
    • understanding your gas and electricity bills
    • understanding how to use your heating systems
    • support registering with the Priority Services Register
    Please bear in mind that the service is experiencing high demand for telephone appointments, but do reach out if you feel we can support you.

I hope our members been able to help reassure you as well, but if there's anything you're still unsure of, please do let us know.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

How much has your energy bill increased by ? 

If it is more than the 54% cap then I would challenge the increase with your supplier 
  • Emma52
    Emma52 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    I live in a Council house and my water lumped in with my rent. It is a set amount and I am in receipt of housing benefit. Is there any help for those in my position. 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Emma52 said:
    I live in a Council house and my water lumped in with my rent. It is a set amount and I am in receipt of housing benefit. Is there any help for those in my position. 

As the thread is related to energy bills i assume your question is related to this. The Government are giving everyone named on an energy account £66/67/month from Oct to March 2023. How you receive this will depend on your energy supplier. Some are paying it straight onto their energy account and reducing their monthly DD.
    There's also the Warm Home Discount of £150, if you're entitled. Details here. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-and-social-schemes/warm-home-discount-whd
    If you were 66 between 19th to 25th September there's also the Winter Fuel Payment. https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-much-youll-get

• Emma52
    Emma52 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    HI Poppy, I was asking if there was any help for people with water charges when the charges are put together with Council rent. This was prompted by the face book/scope enquiry for disabled people who would like help with water charges. Hope this clarified things for you. Let's face it any help at the moment is appreciated.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree @Emma52 - any help at the moment is appreciated. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @vulcan56. I can see your thread has received quite a few responses now!

Do you feel these responses have provided you with the support you were looking for? Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you.

We are all here for you and listening to you. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,560 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You might  be able to claim other benefits as well 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.