Property Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Property Help

NeilB
NeilB Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
Hi,
The last 3 years have been extremely challenging to say the least for everyone.
I’ve moved to a new area to be closer to my disabled son who is now 11, I’m also disabled I had a work place accident in 2016 and I’ve just been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
I like lots of other people have found themselves due to circumstances privately  renting at a point in life when perhaps this should not be a practical solution.
Today my landlord knocked at my front door and told me he was putting the home I rent up for sale and he was giving me three months notice.
This nearly floored me as I obviously wasn’t expecting this at all, I thought it was a social visit as he only lives just up the road and we get on really well.
He advised it was purely a business decision and he unfortunately had no choice in the matter.
He said I was a perfect tenant, but that didn’t make it any easier to take the shocking news, what do you think the best course of action is,

Best Wishes,

Neil.

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I would be registering with the home finder service in your area to access social housing. 

Get in touch with housing associations also. 

Plus look private again. 

Nothing more you can do, as long as the landlord is giving the correct notice. 
  • NeilB
    NeilB Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Thank you for kind advice Mark.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    A situation that happens all the time, however that doesn't make it any easier @NeilB the good news is it sounds like your current LL will give you a first rate reference which might make moving on easier. Of course all this has come at a really bad time for you and I hope you find some where new to rent ASAP.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear the news @NeilB, that sounds really difficult, especially with it being such a surprise. I can only echo what has already been said, it's great that you have a positive relationship with your current landlord so hopefully that will stand you in good stead going forward. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.